Male Guppies Harassing Male Swordtails

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by Newby71, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Newby71

Newby71New MemberMember

have had 3 male guppies in tank with 2 male swordtails. Thought the harassment may be the other way around since the swordtails are the larger fish. It’s been more than a month and the two swordtails now hide most of the time. One in rocks all day and night and the other in the plants with very little swimming. At first all 3 guppies were following them and nipping at them at once. I went out and got 6 female guppies hoping this would deter them. But it only helped get one of them off the swordtails. The other two are absolutely relentless. I feel so bad for the swordtails but don’t have the option to remove the bullying guppies to another tank and I’m just not sure what else I can do. The swordtail that stays inside the rocks rarely comes out even to eat. The other is at least eating tho he went for almost a week without eating too. At first they were both glass surfing non stop with the guppies following them non stop. Now they just hide. Is there anything, short of getting rid of the two guppies, that I can try to take their attention away from these poor swordtails? Have to say my tank is mostly filled with guppies and I’m starting not to like them at all! Females are ok, but the males are awful!

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Male guppys do three things only: Eat, poop, mate, repeat. Your tank will soon be full of dozens of guppys now that you have females. I'd personally find an lfs to give all the guppys to and go get some more swords... just what I'd do...

3. mrsCG

mrsCGNew MemberMember

I agree with Momgoose56. I have endlers livebearers which I bought as a "peaceful community fish," but they are not peaceful! They are similar to guppies. All the males want to do is mate and harass each other...and some other fish too. :(

4. OP
    OP
    Newby71

Newby71New MemberMember

I am new to this all. Had the same goldfish for 2.5 years Ann he just got too big for the 10 gallon tank. I upgraded to 20 gallons and didn’t know about cycling the tank. He died two days later. So I tried to get some colorful, what I was told were peaceful, fish to enjoy the newly cycled tank. Went thru two batches of glofish tetras dying on me before I gave up on them and landed on sword tails and guppies. Have two female Dalmatian mollies too. I enjoy all of them but those two male guppies. Maybe I will look for someone to take them.

5. OP
    OP
    Newby71

Newby71New MemberMember

Also, I’ve had the females for about a month now and only one of the males seems to show interest. I was told it’s because they aren’t bright pretty colors. Just grabbed six of whatever females Petsmart had to help the poor swordtails. Didn’t realize the male guppies would be picky!!!

6. Lypress

LypressValued MemberMember

FF7C2500-DAD9-4D9D-A6A4-AF13FEBC2B6B.jpeg093FE84E-C3A8-4425-8DE8-EEF0885A04A1.jpeg In my tank I have a couple of guppies but I have 6 swordtails. It used to be 1 female guppies, 2 male guppies, 3 female swordtails and 3 male swordtails. I never had an aggression issue, but then again I had more swordtails than guppies. Maybe just buy more swordtails. A funny fact about swordtails though, a few months ago I ended up with 2 female and 4 male swordtails because one of the females turned male. Apparently this is not uncommon. Good luck, I hope I helped at least a little....oh and just wondering if they are standard or fancy guppies? I’ve had many guppies in the past and at least in my experience the standard ones are worse. Maybe it was just my particular fish. Anyone else experience this too? I lost all my plants but still no aggression.

7. OP
    OP
    Newby71

Newby71New MemberMember

Well my poor swordtails finally were harrassed to death. So upset that I didn’t just flush the two harassing guppies but couldn’t bring myself to do that to a living little fish and so now I have two dead swordtails. One had been hiding for weeks and barely eating. He died on Saturday. The other seemed to be dealing better with the annoyance and was still eating but found him dead on Monday. Don’t know how long he was floating there, but he was alive when I went to work Monday morning, not so much Monday evening. Now having nitrate spike in tank and I think one of my poor littlest female guppies is on her way out too. Not sure how to fix it quickly to try not to lose many more. Doing 25% change tonight and hope that works. Idk if I should change filter? So many say don’t change it unless it’s falling apart, but is it helpful with nitrate spikes? Or will this set the tank into cycling again? Ugg fish are harder to care for than I was expecting. Just don’t want to have to send any more of the little guys down the toilet ☹️

8. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Do a 50 to 75% change if your nitrates are over 40ppm. A 25% change will only bring it down 25% etc.