Male guppies dead others have split tails, endlers harassment?

AnoobIA

So one of my guppies are dead, the other guppy with the orange tail has its fin split and nipped.
When I started adding livestock in my tank the first live stock I’ve put in it are 3 amanos, 3 endless and 3 assassin snails

less than 2 weeks later, I put 3 blue guppies, one with an orange tail and 2 with blue tail.

from the beginning I’ve noticed the one with the orange tail liking to hangout In the front and chase off the endlers from its territory from time to time. But throughout a couple of days I’ve noticed it became lethargic and it’s it’s fin nipped. It was bite sized. Yesterday I noticed the orange tail to have droopier tail, lik it’s dragging its end while swimming. Also the end of its tail was split and had red dots (like blood clots). So I removed him and quarantined the guy.

I left the other 2 guppies in the tank. This morning I came to check on them and I saw my Amano trying to eat one of the dead guppies.

mat first I thought it was the Amano that killed it, but I know they only eat dead things. I took the dead guppy out and noticed it’s tail was severely nipped. I wasn’t sure if the Amano was the one who ate the tail or the endlers since the night before that guppy had a full tail.
If it was the guppies then they must have redirected their aggression towards him since I took out the guppy with the orange tail, the one they’ve been nipping from the beginning.

the truth is I don’t know which fish is doing the nipping since I didn’t see when it happened and only notice it afterwards.

Important thing to note is that the guppies where already having a hard time in the tank since my hardness was below 200ppm.

I thought the hardness was fine since the endlers have been fine for more than 2 weeks and the amanos have been successfully molting throughout the weeks. They where juvenile when I got them almost 3 weeks ago so I find a molt almost 2 every week. I only added the hardness yesterday.
Ive been suspecting something was wrong from day 2 because the guppies where progressively becoming more and more sluggish. Not only that but the orange tail was constipated so I didn’t feed him for a day and fed him peas after.
So on top of the nipping and whatever is nipping at them, the guppies have been dealing with the wrong gh parameter and the one guppy being constipated.
Can anyone tell what else could be wrong? The other parameters are good and tank is fully cycled.

aside from what I have stated above, what other reasons would cause my guppies to be lethargic and have a droopy tail?
I fixed the gh problem so I don’t really know what else in my water that can cause this.

so I highly suspect for now that its the combination of the low gh and the harassment from endlers or whoever that’s harassing them that’s causing them to be lethargic and have droopy tail. Which is from stress.

HupGuppHup

Some male endlers are just a bit of a pest to male guppies, but other times they can be vicious little piranha especially in numbers. Just my limited experience in trying to mix the two. I had a single male endler fit in OK in my male only guppy tank, but when I recently tried to add 3 more it was horrible.
I just assumed that since they mix OK in other circumstances, it'd be OK. Reading around a bit more it sounds like it can be problematic unless the numbers are skewed heavily in favour of the guppies.
My bad, lesson learned. I didn't read up on it enough.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HupGuppHup
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
  • Soorahk
  • Guppy
Replies