Male Gourami Suddenly Lying On Bottom

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by dl_schneider, Apr 12, 2018.

1. dl_schneider

dl_schneiderNew MemberMember

My male gourami was swimming around 15 minutes ago just fine. I fed them then and all of a sudden he went vertical mouth down into the rock and the laid on his side at the bottom.

Water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ph 7.6

Don't know what could be wrong. Please help.

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

maybe he ate too much causing his stomach to push against his swim bladder causing him not to swim right.

3. 123Valued MemberMember

When I first bought gouramis I had one of them do the same in the first day I had him. He did not seem to be able to make it. He just with much troubles went up for air and then head down to lye on the gravel. He did not make it to the next day ... but I am pretty sure that it had to be sick, because later I seen some more gouramis had the same trouble in the pet shop, just lying on the gravel. Maybe if you added something new to the aquarium an illness or a parasite could do this. But if you did not add anything I would agree with the previous comment about the swim bladder. I had other fish to just stand vertically and losing balance after they ate too much. Try not feeding them for couple of days :)

4. OP
    OP
    dl_schneider

When I got home from work today, he was gone. Last night he was swimming slowly around the bottom 6-8 inches of the tank but wouldn't go any higher. I was pretty sure that I would find him like that when I got home from work today.

Is it possible that it was a swim bladder issue and without being able to get to the surface for air, he essentially drowned?

I don't know a lot about fish and am trying to come up with possible reasons and solutions if I see that behavior again.

5. 123Valued MemberMember

☹️ Im sorry to hear that. I still don’t believe how attached I can be to my fishes... I only started the hobby some months ago thinking that I would probably not have much emotions for fishes ... but the exact oposite ^^

In my (beginner) opinion I think it could be the swim bladder, but I also read from several sources that Gouramis are very vulnerable to bacterial diseases. Also i am currenty having similar issue after I found out I got 2 males and one female .... they are bullying one of the males that I barely see him ever going up or swimming and he is down on gravel last two days.... I’m getting a bigger tank for him tomorrow and Ian just going he makes it and more space wil help :)

6. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like DG iridovirus. It's very common, 100% fatal, and the reason why I don't buy dwarf gouramis anymore.

7. OP
    OP
    dl_schneider

Wasn't a dwarf gourami though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice