Male Gourami Problem.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Pop19691, Aug 5, 2017.

1. P

Pop19691 New Member Member

Hi everyone I am new to this tank business. I started with 10 ember tetras' 3 guppys and 2 male pearl gouramis . One of the gourami became aggressive to the other so luckily the pet shop took it back. Everything has been fine for about 4 weeks then all a sudden the remaining gourami killed one of the guppys . Then one of the remaining guppys killed the other guppy . Sorry I hope your keeping up. Again things were fine for a few weeks. Then a couple of days ago the gourami shredded the last guppys tail to bits. I removed the guppy out the tank. That left the embers which this morning were no where to be seen. One appeared and the gourami went mental trying to catch it. The gourami is now in a tank on its own. slowly all tetras appeared from where they were hiding poor things were terrified. Any ideas anyone?? By the way all the fish I brought were all on the advise by the pet shop they were ok together mmmm .

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Male gouramis will fight if they are in pairs.
    It's best to keep them in solitary, for those reasons.

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Anything smaller than the gouramis mouth will be considered food, I've had an angel try and eat a black neon that was three times to thick to fit in its mouth, so it may not be detered even then.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry guys but I disagree.

Pearls are in normal conditions ones of the most docile fish I know and can be kept in pairs without any doubt.

Angels are cichlids and more carnivorious and predator than (pearl) gouramis.

I kept a pair of pearls for many years.

Did the OP actually see the Pearl kill a guppy and see a guppy kill another one?
    Also the second killing is strange cause guppies are not "equipped" other fish.

What is the tanksize ?

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If they are actually pearls..didn't think of that.

@Pop19691 could you provide a picture of the gourami in question?

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree with DD. My pearls wouldn't harm anything in the tank... in fact, they're the most timid of the bunch!

@Pop19691, welcome to the forum!

7. OP
    OP
    P

Yes I saw the gourami keep having a go at the guppy and I def saw it terrorising the tetras. Tank is 64 ltrs. All that was in that tank last night was the guppy 10 tiny ember tetras and the gourami.

8. DoubleDutch

Did you see it kill it ?

9. el337

A picture would help of the gourami. Sounds unusual that it would attack a guppy.

16 ltrs is definitely too small to house pearl gouramis. Overcrowding can contribute to aggression.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the tank is too small and likely the cause of any aggression problems you are having.

11. OP
    OP
    P

The tank is 64 lts

N
    No I didn't see it kill it I jut saw it keep attacking it .

I am just trying to work out how to load a picture lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
  12. DoubleDutch

I think it is aggitated cause it is in a too small tank. A 160 litre tank cones first for Pearls. As he is a guppy hater like me he will definity go for one, but don't kill it.

13. OP
    OP
    P

I have to agree with you Double dutch . I wish I had done more research and not just took the pet shops advice. I haven't brought any more fish since. I will do a lot of research before. Thanks for your kind replies .

14. el337

Sorry, I meant 16 gallons.

15. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

I have a 90 gallon gouramis/community tank and Pearl gouramis aren't aggressive unless they are confined to small spaces. Put them in a big tank and you'll have a awesome tank

16. OP
    OP
    P

Hi I have given the gourami to my neighbour who has a beautiful 5 ft tank. The problem is def that my tank is too small. He looks loads happier. Thanks everyone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice