Male Goldfish Harassing Female

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ceh9634, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ceh9634

ceh9634New MemberMember

So, I have three males and a female fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon. Is there anything I can do about the males harassing the females? My dad won't let me get another tank for the female so that's out.

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

It's usually normal for this to happen during spawning season, but normally you want to separate the females. How old are they may I ask

3. OP
    OP
    ceh9634

ceh9634New MemberMember

I'm not sure, but I don't think they're any older than 2 years

4. OneLittleBubble

How big are they and does the female look stressed?

5. OP
    OP
    ceh9634

ceh9634New MemberMember

One of the males is around 4.5 inches (excluding tail), but I haven't seen him chase her. The other two are around the same size as the female (1.5 inches).

6. OneLittleBubble

Hmmm I think that if the chasing continues long enough for the female to show signs of stress you can opt for a tank separator.

7. OP
    OP
    ceh9634

ceh9634New MemberMember

Thank you, I didn't think of a tank divider haha

8. NicholaspNew MemberMember

I can report that I have had female (comets) harassed to the death. This spring, my teenage males began chasing, corralling, and bumping females that I suppose were ready or close to ready with eggs. Three have been exhausted to death. Very distressing. I have forty or so comets in a 1500 gallon aquaponics tank set in the ground. The fish are about two year old. For the moment, I have taken to netting the females and putting them in quarantine (a five gallon bucket) for their own protection.

9. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello ceh...

Get some floating plants from the fish store. Drop some individual stems into the tank. The plants grow quickly close to the light source and the plants provide hiding places for the fish. You can go to the local lake or river areas and pick up some rocks and driftwood. These make the fish feel more comfortable and will likely give the female some rest while the males explore the new stuff.

Old

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice