Male Gold Barb is flipping beautiful

Discussion in 'Gold Barb' started by Matt B, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I've fell in love with these guys since I began keeping them awhile back. They have colored brilliantly over the time I've had my school and also are constanly spawning. They are inquisitive and like poking around which can lead to some moss wall damage but I still love 'em and highly recommend them! Mine are about 4" and really husky. I got a good picture of a male and thought I'd share:
    [​IMG]

Btw: this fish was just pale yellow and black spots when I got them.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They are beautiful. I think they look great with cherry or rosy barbs.

3. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Thanks for the recommendation. :) I was actually considering a school of cherries for the 55g the Golds are in but the Golds got way bigger than I expected so I don't think I'll add another schooler. Since I like these guys so much and may be setting up another tank in the near future I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

4. Jaysee

Yeah, there are two species of gold barbs - one grows much bigger than the other. The smaller variety doesn't get much bigger than cherry barbs. I don't know how to tell the difference when they are small.

5. OP
    OP
    Matt B

I had heard that too but had never found a way to tell them apart so I bought these guys at about 2" and they promptly doubled in size.........bigger variety it is!

6. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Simply stunning fish I love that green tint it has.

7. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Wow...awesome picture. You should enter that in the contest.

Your barbs all look very healthy, best I've ever seen.

8. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Thanks :) I love that about them as well, I had no idea how green they would get.

Thanks so much, thats a great compliment. :) I may do that.

9. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Beautiful boy you've got there :)

10. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Thanks Sarah, not as much personality as a Betta but cool in they're own bullish, ravenous all the time way. :)

11. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Stunning picture!! What a gorgeous fish and so awesome that they spawn so regularly for you! They must be very happy and it looks like he's enjoying life in the home you've given him.

12. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, what a gorgeous fish! I wouldn't have thought they get so colorful. I agree, I think they would look great with cherry or rosy barbs. :) I've always liked the longfin rosy barbs, like this one:  

13. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Shayla- Thank you very much! It is cool that they spawn alot, unfortunately, they have a bunch of cory roomates which doesn't bode well for egg scatterers like them.

Kinezumi- Thanks, I had no idea either! They just kept getting prettier and prettier. :)

Wow, that is a beautiful fish! I've never seen them before, it almosty looks like a barb/betta/goldfish.

14. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Looks like gold armor! stunningly healthy fish

15. Jaysee

Yeah, the long fin rosy barbs look like mini goldfish. And they act like them too.

16. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Thanks, now that you mention it the black outlines do make it look like that. :)

Do you mean unwieldy like a fancy?

17. WadeEH

WadeEH Valued Member Member

Hey Matt those barbs are looking great. I got six of them last weekend. I had to go to 4 different stores to find them and I bought the only six I could find. They are all only about 1 inch right now. I ended up with 4 males and 2 females so I am looking for some more females. Do you still have angels with the barbs and if so how are they getting along?

18. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Thanks! I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :) Yes, I have 9 of them in a 55 with 6 angels ranging from quarter to half dollar+ size and everybody gets along fine for now. Once the angels start pairing I don't expect things to be going so smoothly so in the end, only 2 angels will be left in there with them.

Btw, good call getting more females, the males are brutal with their courtship.

19. WadeEH

WadeEH Valued Member Member

I'm hoping to find at least two more females. I was thinking of maybe adding just one angel to my tank, but I was a little worried about the barbs getting nippy.

20. OP
    OP
    Matt B

I'd worry the other way around, my barbs are horses and they make way for my juvie angels. Besides, gold barbs are not aggressive towards other fish at all really, unless they can eat them. I think Tiger barbs kind of tainted the name "barb".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice