Male GBR persistently chasing down female

Hiltonjj02
good morning,
I bought 3 BGR about a month and a half ago 1 male 2 female. One of the females and the he male became what I assumed to be a pair and was chasing off the second female. I was then told that they had bullied to lonely female to death whilst I was at work. He has now started to do the same to the remaining female Any ideas on what I could do love these fish don’t worry ant to loose anymore.

MacZ
First of all: This is all typical cichlid behaviour. So nothing special about this.

A pair will always chase all conspecifics from their territory. If the whole tank is the territory due to the tank size being approx. the usual territory size, any fish from that species will be chased or harrassed to death. Only perfect structuring could prevent this to a degree. (Your tank doesn't look like it's correctly structured for any dwarf cichlid, btw.)

Now as the one female is gone the other one is likely being chased because she isn't ready to breed right now. Or the sexing was wrong and it's a male.

In any case, if the female ends up hiding in a corner (especially an upper corner) move her to another tank.

After that you might either restructure the decoration in the tank and maybe reshuffle the stocking, and then reintroduce the female to the tank right after finishing the restructuring.

Important for restructuring is that the lines of sight of the fish are broken. If necessary lean down to the same level as your fish and look through the tank whether they could still see the other end of the tank or not. If you have an unbroken line of sight to the other end, keep moving driftwood and rocks.

Hiltonjj02
MacZ said:
First of all: This is all typical cichlid behaviour. So nothing special about this.

A pair will always chase all conspecifics from their territory. If the whole tank is the territory due to the tank size being approx. the usual territory size, any fish from that species will be chased or harrassed to death. Only perfect structuring could prevent this to a degree. (Your tank doesn't look like it's correctly structured for any dwarf cichlid, btw.)

Now as the one female is gone the other one is likely being chased because she isn't ready to breed right now. Or the sexing was wrong and it's a male.

In any case, if the female ends up hiding in a corner (especially an upper corner) move her to another tank.

After that you might either restructure the decoration in the tank and maybe reshuffle the stocking, and then reintroduce the female to the tank right after finishing the restructuring.

Important for restructuring is that the lines of sight of the fish are broken. If necessary lean down to the same level as your fish and look through the tank whether they could still see the other end of the tank or not. If you have an unbroken line of sight to the other end, keep moving driftwood and rocks.
Cheers mate iv never kept cichlids before these are my first I will try break up the lines of sight with the decorations and try to create some separate areas to hang out. Will have a look online at some tank designs see how I’d be best to scape it.

MacZ
For useable info on the species check out seriouslyfish.com.

For ideas for structure, look at footage from the wild and biotope tanks.

Top Bottom