Male Gbr Chasing Female After 2 Months Of Being Together?!

taylorguillemette

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I had my female GBR first, 2 months maybe. I added the Male at that point and they bonded immediately, he went right to her, I literally saw him color up 10 seconds after he saw her. They’ve spawned a couple of times over the last 2 months, hanging out together with no issues. A couple of days ago I noticed the females color was dull, big spot almost gone and I noticed the male chasing her non stop. Every time she comes around he chases her off and her color goes to ****. It does slowly come back but she is obviously stressed. Water params are good checked yesterday. Only thing I can think of is that I planted some new plants and it changed territories up. It’s a community tank and he does NOT chase anyone else. I just hope she doesn’t die. It’s a moderately/heavy lasted tank with a good amount of hiding places. He’s being such a dingus.

Sorry for the super long post!

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
No worries about the super long post always put as much detail as you can. Usually after spawning the male fish or female may become aggressive. I don’t know much about this type of fish but I do know if your fish are mating a lot it is good to isolate them from eachother cause they may fight. I have mollies that would be fine one minute and then a week later they mate and I see them chasing eachother. If your fish is being attacked constantly you should remove it from the tank into a quarantine tank

taylorguillemette

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! It’s been 3 days maybe. I do wonder if taking her out for a day or two and then re-introducing her would solve the problem

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
taylorguillemette said:
Thanks! It’s been 3 days maybe. I do wonder if taking her out for a day or two and then re-introducing her would solve the problem
Give the other fish about a week in a separate tank to calm down. If the problem occurs you might have to completely separate the fish from eachother

taylorguillemette

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They’ve decided to be friends again today. She’s actually pushing him around a little. Thanks anyway.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom