Male GBR being aggressive towards female

KBrad2828

Hi All,

I've had a pair of GBRs for about two months now and all was fine until the past couple of days when I noticed the male being aggressive towards the female. The male will relentlessly chase the female around the tank and take nips at her side and face. The tank is a 40 breeder with a decent amount of plants and driftwood to block line of sight. The female has been reduced to hiding in the top corners of the tank to get away from the male. Any ideas on what could be causing this sudden change in behavior?

My initial thought was that I ended up with two males so I wouldn't mind a second set of eyes on sexing them as well. I believe the orange faced one is the male and the smaller one being the female.

Female in foreground

20220816_095906.png
Male in foreground

20220816_095903.png
Female

20220816_095859.png
Female in front of male

20220816_095751.png

Thanks for taking a look!

TClare

Most likely the male wants to breed and the female is not ready. `Can you separate them for a while, feed her up then try again?

KBrad2828

Most likely the male wants to breed and the female is not ready. `Can you separate them for a while, feed her up then try again?
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll definitely give that a shot. I almost have a second tank cycled and then I'll move her over.

86 ssinit

I’m thinking 2 males. What your calling a female I think is a male. Yeah it has some blue by the belly but not enough. In the last pic it looks male.

KBrad2828

I’m thinking 2 males. What your calling a female I think is a male. Yeah it has some blue by the belly but not enough. In the last pic it looks male.
Thanks for the reply!

That's what I was afraid of! When I first purchased them the smaller one had a fairly pink/red belly which is how the LFS sexed them, but the color definitely isn't as prominent now. I wasn't sure if that was just caused by the stress of being chased around though.

Here are a couple more pictures in case they help. The pectoral fin does appear to be pointed as well in that last picture.

20220816_132154.png

20220816_132309.png

20220816_132327.png

TClare

Yes, could well be two males, not sure though. Nice looking rams anyway.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
el337
Replies
Views