Male & Female? Together?!

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Probably a silly thing to try, but I do want Jack to see her so he can start to build his nest. So I put her in a jar and put the jar in the tank, upside down so that there was air at the top, but the jar would not come up.
DSC01349.JPG

DSC01350.JPG

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01352.JPG

That's right, Jack, can't hurt her now can ya'?! Look at him flaring at her, that is a pretty betta. I looked everywhere for a clear plastic tube, but I don't have any! I'll ask my aunt, I bet she'll have one.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
+1 on what Red said. Also, that jar idea really doesn't seem to smart. I just think they are going to get even more stressed out.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Won't she end up with a lot of ammonia in that jar if there's no current and no way for the water to move in and out?

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Spawn. I am going to get a breeder for my mollies, like right now, so we'll see if I decide to put the gup in there and keep the betta in the 2.5 for now.
Be back later.

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
a healthy male will build a bubblenest even without seeing a female, and I really don't think you're ready to breed. This jar thing is really going to stress out both of your bettas, and it looks like your girl is already under a lot of stress. the bit of air you trapped at the top of the jar is only going to last so long. I wouldn't trust it for more than an hour or two.
You're female also isn't showing any vertical egg lines on her abdomen, so neither of your bettas are ready, or in the condition to breed.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You're female also isn't showing any vertical egg lines on her abdomen, so neither of your bettas are ready, or in the condition to breed.
+1. Isn't the female a new addition? Serious breeders spend upwards of two weeks conditioning a pair of bettas to breed. They don't just throw them together and hope for the best.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think they're planning to move the female to the 2.5 when they get back with a breeder net for the liver bearer fry currently in said 2.5.

After that there'll be a betta breeding quizz

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was just talking to someone the other day who had the type of set up you are describing: 1 male, 2 females in a tank... plus a bunch of neon tetras and assorted other fish. Anyway this woman was telling me how good it had been. No problems, no fights... So she says anyway. For about 6 months. Then the male decided he didn't want to play nice anymore, and in the course of 2 days killed one of the females, most of the tetras (shredded them to pieces) and the last female apparently only comes out of hiding to eat, and then retreats back to a cave.

Yeah. okey:

Not fun. And not something I would subject my pets to. The woman still hadn't seperated the betta, and when I 'suggested' that she do so ASAP she continued to try to tell me bettas are fine with each other and in a community.

This despite the clear PROOF in her own tank that it didn't.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, stop stressing over the jar. When I was at Petsmart I was looking around and saw this separator screen, so I picked one of those up. I'm sure what I did with the tank now is more than acceptable.

I took out the driftwood and put all the males on one side, and all the females on the other. That's Jack and the two glassfish on the left, and Pearl and the two lake guppies on the right. One is prego again.
DSC01353.JPG

DSC01354.JPG

DSC01355.JPG

Here is the breeder I got too, Pluto looked like she was about to pop so I put her in there. Hopefully, I should have some molly fry in with my guppy in the 2.5 by morning.
DSC01356.JPG

Well, I might now be there yet, but I'm making progress at least. Admit it!

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
?
W/E

So last night I noticed that the females fins were starting to get torn up. I figured it was either from stress or being nipped at. But I just now realized that since she likes to hide behind the filter she gets caught in the current and gets blown around before she regains control. So I think I might have to move her over to Jack's side, and vice verca just for the fins to start healing. Also I took out the guppies.
In other news, Jack has started to build a nest...whoo!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To avoid confusion, kit_frisk's questions have been moved here:

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Please reconsider your plan to breed the bettas right away. At the least, do some research before you just throw them together and hope for the best.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Please reconsider your plan to breed the bettas right away. At the least, do some research before you just throw them together and hope for the best.
Read
BTW, Meenu, I did read the article. I do plenty of research before I do something. I said earlier I was intrigued, so I read up on it.
Did you read the whole thread? I've done plenty of research, don't think I'm some mindless goon throwing caution to the wind and jumping into something I have no idea how to do. I know how to play this out.

Besides, the set up I have now is perfectly acceptable, whether I'm trying to breed or not.

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, I did read the whole thread. Please don't take offense to what I'm saying. As others have told you, your girl has stress lines. That means she is not comfortable in her new surroundings yet. She's a new betta, she should be allowed to get used to her new home for a few weeks first, and then when both she and the male are ready, they should be conditioned for a week or two, before breeding. You may have read the article, but you aren't following the advice. I read it too, and it says that breeding pet store bettas are a bad idea because you have no idea what the age and genes are. You read it, but you aren't using all the information there. Just please be careful, I know you care about your bettas, so be careful about doing anything that could potentially be bad for them. Reading is a first step, but following the advice is the important part

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She isn't old enough, I know this. She has been in her new home for about 2 days tonight without being moved or disturbed. They are both still on their own sides of the separator, and I had no intentions of introducing them to each other for breeding purposes until she was old enough and had those breeding lines. BTW, the stress lines are gone.
The whole reason I put them in together at first was merely to see if they could be housed together. Obviously not, so this separator was a good idea.

I was a little offended, I'm not going to lie, but it's okay. I did something wrong, but I fixed it, and everything is getting better. I turned my filter down, and took all the other fish out, so her fin is starting to look better. And by that I mean, not getting any worse.

I know what to do now, and am not making any more mistakes. I still have to condition them, I know, I am trying. I have freeze dried foods, and am going to get some brine shrimp for them soon.

Jack's bubble nest is getting pretty huge now, it's pretty cool

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's awesome about the stripes being gone.

In case you don't already know: Be careful with freeze-dried foods. As they become hydrated, they expand. This can be dangerous if it happens inside the fish. It can cause bloating. I suggest pre-soaking the bloodworms in a bit of tank water, or even better, in some garlic juice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom