Male & Female? Together?!

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I went by Petsmart with my friend to pick up a few things earlier tonight, when we were browsing, I noticed they had some female bettas in a tank. They were gorgeous, I have never seen such a pretty, colorful female before.(and yes, I'm certain it's a female.) So I did a big no-no and decided to walk out with a new betta. I have always been intrigued by the thought of breeding bettas, but had decided it was just not in the cards yet. But, I figured 'why not?'

I don't have too many tanks, my 20 community which is overstocked as it is, my 10 gallon with a male betta in it already, and my little 2.5 breeder that has a guppy fry in it right now. So I decided to try my luck with keeping her with Jack.(my male betta.)
Probably a bad idea, but I thought I could try, and if it was a big problem could always move the female to a little bowl.
It's been about an hour since I acclimated and introduced her to the tank. Since then, she has had her run-ins with Jack. He is a male, so of course he is going to be aggressive, but I've always noticed he wasn't THAT aggressive, and noticed that after adding a few other fish to the tank with him he has become much less aggressive.

Well, so far all I've seen can be considered 'questionable'. Jack has been stalking her, of course, following her mostly everywhere she goes unless he takes a break to let the current push him around as he usually does until he lands and drapes his fins over the driftwood like a wet towel. I've noticed that at times he has gotten right up next to her side, rubbed up against her, and flat out just kinda' stood there staring at her. I've seen him come up to her all slowly and calmly, and her darting off(probably just frightened) and of course, I have seen him flare up at her, which is aggressive. But I've never actually seen him take a bite or even lay a fin on her.

He is bipolar basically, which is weird, but can be an advantage. I don't want to remove her from the tank, but I'm worried for her health. She is WAYYYY faster than Jack(who is a crowntail and can hardly move in the current because of this, where she has a wide fin; good for swimming quickly.) She is very active, where Jack is acting just like his normal self pretty much all of the time now instead of stalking. Just lying around, letting the current drape him over the wood, the plants, the thermometer, the cord to the heater, the filter intake pipe, etc.
Lazy punk...

Basically, from what you guys have heard, and what I've noted, do you think it could be possibly that Jack is not aggressive enough to hurt her, or if eventually he is just going to go crazy and tear her apart?

Thanks!
-Ben

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you've got a disaster brewing. They need to be separated, and I would recommend that the female be taken back to the store, personally.

Before you decide to breed bettas, please make sure you read MM's article: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/step-by-step-guide-to-breeding-bettas.37434/

ETA: Maybe you can divide the 10 for them, but I don't know if you are supposed to keep them where they can see each other. I think the female can become eggbound

Last edited:

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you've got a disaster brewing. They need to be separated, and I would recommend that the female be taken back to the store, personally.

Before you decide to breed bettas, please make sure you read MM's article: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/step-by-step-guide-to-breeding-bettas.37434/

ETA: Maybe you can divide the 10 for them, but I don't know if you are supposed to keep them where they can see each other. I think the female can become eggbound
+1, though I'm unsure about the eggbound part. Still think it's a bad idea. Having them both live in the tank is not the way to breed bettas.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
+1, though I'm unsure about the eggbound part. Still think it's a bad idea. Having them both live in the tank is not the way to breed bettas.
I know, I just wanted to keep them together, don't think that will work...

Well, I've got an update already. I was taking pictures of her to show you guys and I noticed she started getting these redish-brown lines around her gills. I freaked out thinking it was blood and maybe Jack had been getting at her at the perfect moments when I wasn't peering over my shoulder at them, but was typing or something, and immediately took her out and put her into my 20. It is very active, and the current is strong...not sure if she'll like it, but we'll see what happens. At least now she won't have to worry about some guy beating on her.

Taking her back sounds extreme to me, now that I have a real job and steady income I would buy another 10 gallon tank before I would get rid of my little Pearl.(which is what I named her. )
She seems to be doing alright in t he 20 right now, she's not hurting the mollies or platies, she is just kind of chillin' behind the granite block.

w/e, here are the pics...
DSC01329.JPG

DSC01330.JPG

DSC01332.JPG

Here are some that you can kind of make out the brownish-red lines by her gills.
DSC01342.JPG

DSC01343.JPG

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BTW, Meenu, I did read the article. I do plenty of research before I do something. I said earlier I was intrigued, so I read up on it.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good. You made it sound in your first post very much like this was an impulse buy, and that you didn't have a tank for her so you stuck her in with Jack. Seemed like poor (or no) planning. I just wanted to point you toward the article so that you'd go into this knowing all the facts.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol, maybe I should have mentioned doing a little research in the first post. It basically was an impulse buy and no, I didn't have any other plans, other than just sticking her in with Jack, praying to God they don't fight, and if they do, move her to a bowl or the other tanks. I figured, it couldn't hurt to try, she was only like 3 bucks anyway.

I was worried that somebody would come by and be like, "Dude, that's a dude..." The sign said "Female Betta" but the lady was questioning it. Said it could be a wild male, but from what I've read, if it were a wild male, or just a male, it would have killed the other bettas in the tank, and if it were wild, would have absolutely obliterated Jack my now.

Do you think she will be okay in the 20? Or should I try and move her to the bowl?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would put her in a bowl tonight and then get her a tank tomorrow if she was mine. She would NOT appreciate being put into the 20 - bettas don't tolerate salt well, and I see that you use the stuff in that tank. And I wouldn't leave her with Jack either.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well is the salt the only reason? I don't put that much in, and I've done several water changes since I last added salt. I'm probably starting to bug you, but I'm just asking if I can leave her in there because I think it would be even more stressful being moved so many times.
Also, I don't have the money now, I have already spent most of it on gas and important things like that. It would be a week or so before I would be able to get the tank. But I do know how to care for bettas in small bowls and keep them healthy at the same time.

Thanks!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, the salt, the fact that the tank is alreay overcrowded, and also just that I'd hate to see you put a fish that hasn't been quarantined into an established tank.

Although it is not what I would do or recommend, if you want to put her in there, I would say do the bowl tonight, and then try to put her in tomorrow when you can keep an eye on the situation for a few hours to make sure things are okay. I'm worried that if she's already showing signs of stress, that maybe putting her in a tank with a bunch of fish would freak her out. she's been living alone for a long time, and bettas are solitary fish by nature anyway.

And you aren't bugging me, although I may go to bed soon - it's midnight here. I answer your questions because my best friend loves Benjamin Breaker. (just kidding, by the way. I'd answer your questions anyways.. just helps that you have a cool name. )

Last edited:

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, it's like 1 here. She was in a tank with two other females at the store. I would have quarantined her in the 2.5 like I usually do with all of my other new fish, but I've got that stinkin' baby guppy in there, I think she would have a field day with it, my bro wants it to live.
I'll put her in the bowl.

Lol, thanks. Breaking Benjamin is pretty amazing. Even though I've been cheating on them with Thousand Foot Krutch.
She is being a bit more active now, swimming around the tank and such. The lines are still there though.

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know either - I just know she gets all excited about some Benjamin Break thing - I told her about you this morning.

Good luck with the betta.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From what I know of females, those vertical lines are breeding stripes? I don't advocate keeping bettas with other fish in community tanks, so add me to the column of people who feel she should be put into her own tank.

I know it can be easy to impulsively buy a betta, and when I've done that in the past I've made sure I have an empty tank to put them in or bought a new tank to put them in. I think its irresponsible to just buy a betta and figure out what to do with it later ... like put it into an established tank that doesn't meet their needs.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know it can be easy to impulsively buy a betta, and when I've done that in the past I've made sure I have an empty tank to put them in or bought a new tank to put them in. I think its irresponsible to just buy a betta and figure out what to do with it later ... like put it into an established tank that doesn't meet their needs.
+1

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The lines were on her gills you said?
Those aren't breeding lines lol, most of my females have those I'm not sure what it is.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Why don't you get an in-tank breeder box for the guppy and put the betta in your 2.5g? They are on sale for $5.59 right now at drs foster and smith, and I'm sure you could find one at your LFS so you could get it quickly without paying for shipping.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom