Question Male & Female Betta Together In 10 Gal W Divider?

KassandraXo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I currently have a female veil tail in a 5 Gal tank and right beside her I have a male half moon in a 10 Gal tank. I have been thinking about putting them both in the 10 Gal and putting a divider in the middle of the tank. I have 9 tanks in my house right now and am wanting to down size by one so this would be the solution. My female is egg bound at the moment and I'm also hoping that keeping them together will get them to spawn.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? I don't want to stress them out or anything. They are both pretty calm for Bettas which is a good thing.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Should be fine, however, I recommend making your own divider instead of buying one at a pet store. Heard horror stories of fish getting onto the other side of the tank with the pet store divider.

KassandraXo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Should be fine, however, I recommend making your own divider instead of buying one at a pet store. Heard horror stories of fish getting onto the other side of the tank with the pet store divider.
Thank you! I will be making my own divider with plastic mesh and project binders. I don't trust the store bought ones!!

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless you are getting a divider that will effectively make two tanks out of one (a wall without holes that blocks water from flowing between the two sides) and make sure that it is not see-through, this is probably a bad idea. Though there are exceptions, bettas are generally very aggressive pursuers of potential mates. If they can see each other or sense each other presence through the hormones they excrete in the water, they will be restless and constantly bothering one another. Though if you want to spawn them you can expose them to each other like this, you cannot do it for weeks on end and definitely not permanently. The fish would be in a constant state of stress and heightened alert and will tire themselves out. It is okay as a temporary solution but not as a permanent set-up.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heard horror stories of fish getting onto the other side of the tank with the pet store divider.
I experienced my own horror story a few weeks ago that I'm just now slowly getting over. I'm probably just going to buy the divider from Life With Pets. More expensive than DIY, but sturdy. I'm scarred now and afraid that whatever I make isn't going to be strong enough... Although I don't need a divider anymore, I pry will in the future.

I probably wouldn't keep male and female in same tank though for the reason PascalKrypt explains. I've read about that before and although I don't know 100% how true or how much of it is a serious issue, it does make sense.
The Life With Pets dividers are solid and come with or without holes. I don't know if you can get them in Canada though :/

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I tried this once I found the male to be more stressed out then just having another male beside it. Maybe if I gave him more time, how ever i just did not feel comfortable with it and ended up taking him out. I find with the same gender they are less stressed out. I have gotten to the point were they don't even flare at each other through the divider.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom