male? female? and eggs

1. shobxrs Initiate Member

Hi all! I have a pair of angel fish that I have no idea of the sex. Yesterday (coming up on 24 hrs ago) eggs were layed on the intake tube of HOB filter. Both parents are keeping watch over eggs and keeping the other community fish away from the egg site. There are only about 6 eggs out of probably close to 40 that have turned white. I'm wondering if anyone could sex mom or dad by the photos I've attached? I see the tube on the black angel, but can see no tube at all on the white one. Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

From what I can see your black angel is the daddy and the white is the mom! Congratz :)

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

congrats on the babies!!!!!! LOVE their colors...im going opposite of ben LOL I think the black is the gal ...I highly recommend either leaving the tank lights on 24/7 or finding some type of lamp you can put beside the tank for them to ALWAYS have lights ...they seem to eat them without some sort of lights on
    good luck with them!!!

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ok i kinda changed my mind :D

Just noticed the big egg tube and less of a bump on the black angel lol :)

I just think the white one looks a bit too girly to be a boy :p lol

Black= girl
    White= boy
    :)

5. shobxrs Initiate Member

LOL...that's they way I see it...one is mom and one is dad! Now my next question is any idea what color they would reproduce? Black is a double black and white is more like a pearl color. Not sure what you'd call that. Any idea on the odds of babes surviving in community tank? Tank mates are golden barbs, serpae tetra, electric blue rams.

Thanks all!

6. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I think you would get some pure white and some pure black but you would also get mottled ones which are black and white, kinda like marble angels I guess?

In my opinion I dont think they will survive at all, those gold barbs will be one of the biggest threats, have you another tank you oculd move them into?

7. shobxrs Initiate Member

The tank they are in is a 65 gal. bow front. I have a 20 gal. long, but it's at capacity with guppies, rummy nose & harlequin rasbora. I have a 50 gal, but it's not set up at this time. So no chance mom & dad could keep gold barbs away or are you saying that when fry are big enough to swim around the gold barbs would get them then?

Jill

8. binskiboi Member Member

seeing as to how for their species white is a recessive and black is a dominant use a punnet square!

I'm almost positive most fish have incomplete dominant polygenic alleles, so looks like all the babies will be a mixed black and white.

wont let me post a jpeg? o_O, btw this is if the black male is PURE black and not a hybrid.

9. platy ben Well Known Member Member

The 50Gal would be a great tank for them to grow up in :)

Once the fry become free swimming I think the barbs would easily snuff them out :(

Would it be easy for you to set up the 50Gal?

10. shobxrs Initiate Member

Yes, I could set up the 50 gal, but how soon before babes wold be free swimming? 50 gal. probably would not have cycled by that time! Right?

11. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well you could always put in a piece of filter media from your 65Gal and add some of the water from the 65G, this will make it cycle extremely fast, I cycled a 15G in 2 days by doing this.
    At my guess I would say fry free swimming in about a week?

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

in a community tank, you probably wont get many past the free swimming stage..if you can get that far...

like i suggested before, some kind of light is needed..whether you leave the tank light on or some other ambient light next to the tank...either way will work as long as mom and dad can ALWAYS see the eggs...

about day 2-3 you will see them start to wiggle and they will be eating their egg sacs....

about day 4-5 you will see eyes and their egg sacs get smaller

day 6-7 all should be free swimming fry...

if they continue and hatch, at least you know you have a breeding pair and not 2 females....which will spawn constantly the eggs just wont hatch...

if you find you have a pair, id get the 50g up and running asap for just them..you can use established media(as suggested) from all your tanks, as well as some gravel, and decorations to have an instant cycle...im going to respecfully disagree on the water..there isnt enough bacteria that free floats to bother changing that out with it...as long as your tap ph isnt much different than your tank ph, id go with all new water

13. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

Congrats on your breeding pair and hope everything works out for ya