Male Electric yellow lab chasing tankmates after feeding time.

peacefulwarrior

I have 6 Electric yellow labs...?...( could be hybrids with red zebra) and at feeding time they are fine until 90% of food is gone and then the Male will start chasing all the tankmates all over the place indiscriminately... (this lasts about an hour). And they all get along peacefully the rest of the day: (until next feeding.) The male is about 2.0 inches and the beta male 1.75 inches and the 4 females are 1.375 inches. What does this behavior indicate?

Dechi

Maybe they just came too close to him for feeding and it gets him aggravated. Mbunas are aggressive fish, and even though the internet says yellow labs are easier, it isn’t always the case.

My yellow lab has harassed and kill one tank mate and made another‘s life miserable. I hope you have 1 male, 5 females. If you don’t there could be problems.

How big is your tank ?

Upvote 0

peacefulwarrior

Dechi Hi. It is 36x12x16: 30 gal./ I was wondering if maybe I'm under feeding them. I feed about 3/8" diameter pinch of ground up flakes which takes them about 5 minutes to eat maybe 90-95% of and then they spend 15-20 minutes scouring the tank for remnants.
Dechi I got a colony of 6 juveniles from a breeder in florida. They advertised that it would be 1 to 2 males and 4 to 5 females. ( It's hard to sex the juveniles...and I ended up with 2 males... 1 is a 1/4" larger than the other.) The females are all orange and have no black stripe on the dorsal fin... I'm thinking they are hybrids.

Upvote 0

A201

The described aggression is normal & as long as no damage occurs, no worries.
Yellow Labs grow pretty big, males five inches, females a little smaller.
At some point you might consider upgrading to a bigger tank.
Like Dechi noted, Yellow Labs aren't as peaceful as advertised.
One of the most aggressive Mbuna I ever kept was a Yellow Lab.
Welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

peacefulwarrior

A201 Hi. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get a larger tank before they get that big.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I was wondering if maybe I'm under feeding them. I feed about 3/8" diameter pinch of ground up flakes which takes them about 5 minutes to eat maybe 90-95% of and then they spend 15-20 minutes scouring the tank for remnants.

You are probably overfeeding, like most of us. For juveniles, I was advised to give spirulina flakes the size of the end of my thumb, per fish. And to give 2-3 pellets per fish (veggie pellets) per day, as juveniles.

Later on, feeding once a day is enough. I think eating for 5 minutes is stretching it.

Upvote 0

peacefulwarrior

Dechi Hi. I'm confused about what " the end of my thumb" measurement means... ( and honestly I think it would take my fish way over 5 minutes for my 6 fish to eat 18 pellets.) The pinch of flakes I feed them is roughly the size of the eraser on top of a pencil... is that way over feeding? or are my fish slow eaters?

Upvote 0

Dechi

Dechi Hi. I'm confused about what " the end of my thumb" measurement means... ( and honestly I think it would take my fish way over 5 minutes for my 6 fish to eat 18 pellets.) The pinch of flakes I feed them is roughly the size of the eraser on top of a pencil... is that way over feeding? or are my fish slow eaters?

The part where the nail is, but not extending past the skin.

The end of an eraser on a pencil is even less, so it looks okay. :)

Upvote 0

peacefulwarrior

Dechi thanks...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Annie54
  • Question
Replies
Views