Male? Convict ID

1. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

I got 2 female convicts from a friend and my wife bought me a male to go with them. I'm still only about 75% sure its a male. I believe it is because the big female actually allows the "male" to swim by her and go into her flowerpot and Ive seen them rubbing against each other. The reasons I'm positive is because "his" stripes are very dull and he has red/rust colored fins. In the past all the male Ive owned have had very dark black stripes and no fin color. Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.
    DSCN0245.jpg DSCN0246.jpg

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure. I'd guess male as well by body shape. But you really can't tell until they color up nicely. It is usually best not to keep trios of Convicts because one will eventually get bullied to death. Moving him to a tank of his own might trigger some sort of color change.

3. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

I think its a male. Just saw him do a little wiggle dance for the female

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah that's a fairly good sign but sometimes females do that at one another when they are fighting.

5. wags1985 Initiate Member

The females will have some pink hue on their belly. From all the convicts I've seen, them males never have the pink on them. you can usually see this at a very young age if they are healthy.