Male Comets Harassing Females To Death

Nicholasp

Reaction score
Hey All,

If anyone has any experience with this problem, I would appreciate some advice. I have a 1500 gallon poly tank sunk in the ground with approx. 40 goldfish that are about two years old now. This spring the teenage males have gotten extremely randy and are pursuing females incessantly. Often in groups of as many as six or more. The females end up tired out and sluggish and are then gang tackled. Eventually they are weakened to the point they just give it up. I have two female 'rescues' in quarantine at the moment and am keeping an eye out. But left to their own devices, it looks like I would be left will all males. Odd behavior. The fish are healthy and otherwise 'happy'. Water is good. What to do?

-Nicholasp

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately, it is still breeding season and the males will not give up. I have been dealing with it in my tank as well. Just make sure you have more females than males so the ladies can have a break. It should get better as the season moves on.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately, it is still breeding season and the males will not give up. I have been dealing with it in my tank as well. Just make sure you have. More females than males so the ladies can have a break. It should get better as the season moves on.

Nicholasp

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. It really is unfortunate... I am not sure of the ratio of sexes in my tank. Even if it was 50/50, I am not sure that all of the females would be attractive to males at the same time. I will try to research the topic of when females begin to turn on the males. Pheromones or whatever signals males to encourage egg laying.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom