Male cherry barb passed away sort of unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by amdpayne, Aug 7, 2015.

1. amdpayneValued MemberMember

I've had 4 male cherry barbs (initially bought 6; 2 passed away the fast couple days) for 1 year now. They've been very good fish and very hardy. Recently I transferred them to my new house, so they had to undergo a long move. They all did well with the drive and the transition into their old tank (filled with new water but same filter (and new water is softened, so that's different)). I noticed one always seemed to hang out by himself. It was usually the same one, I think. When I moved them into the tank again I noticed the loner had sort of beat-up looking fins but it didn't look like fin rot. He'd hang out with the others fairly often though and ate decently. A week after the move, I found him passed away at the bottom of the tank. He had been swimming around just fine with the others the night before. Seemed so random. Any ideas?

2. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

My initial guess was fin rot, but you mentioned that it didn't seem like fin rot. Could the fish have been bullied/injured by the other fish? The transition would have caused a lot of stress and this would have made it even more difficult for the fish to cope with problems. You also mentioned that the water is softer which could have an adverse effect on your fish. It's difficult to diagnose a problem like this without more information about your water parameters, but my guess is that the fish could have been injured by the other fish. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. :(

3. OP
    OP
    a

amdpayneValued MemberMember

Thank you! I wondered about bullying too, since he hung out a lot by himself and the fins weren't fin rot - looking. Maybe more like nipped? Maybe. If it was rot, it wasn't enough yet to kill him. I never saw the others bullying him, though. I just wonder if he'd always been a bit sickly. :/ Not too sure on any of it, but so far everyone else seems to have made the transition smoothly. *knock on wood*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Ovenmitts

OvenmittsValued MemberMember

Someone gave me a tank a few months ago. It came with a neon tetra, a pleco and a cherry barb. The barb was the only one who died. I'm thinking it was the stress of the move, but you never know. Sorry for your little fella.

5. Et tuValued MemberMember

I have over the years have noticed that when a fish is nearing the end of their life expectancy, they will start to look a bit coarser, fins won't regenerate as fast as they used to, and they can be a bit less active. It could just have been his time ...ran out.

6. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks everyone!

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Sorry for your loss. :(

8. OP
    OP
    a

Guys, it happened again! Another one passed away randomly this morning! But he looked and acted perfectly healthy up until then. I am so confused! They're only about a year old, maybe 1.5 years at most. I do 50% water changes roughly once a week, so parameters should be fine, but do you think the softened water could be slowly doing them in? :(

9. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

If you acclimated them, they will be ok with somewhat softer water....You said water parameters "should" be fine, so you don't test? I, as does everyone on here, recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. 20-25$ that you will never regret spending :). Another cause of death could have been that your filter cartridge dried out, killing off all the bacteria in it, meaning your tank is currently re-cycling, going back to the need for water parameters.

10. OP
    OP
    a

Hmm. Wouldn't they all have passed away at once if the water parameters were the problem? I'll test. Gotta find my kit! I just moved, so it's around here somewhere.

11. OP
    OP
    a

And I can't imagine the filter dried out, since it's still pumping water through, but I guess I don't know much about filters...? I haven't changed anything in it since I got it a year ago. I was afraid to because it'd get rid of that good bacteria.

12. Nickynack

NickynackValued MemberMember

I think what is meant is that during the move, if the filter dried out then the beneficial bacteria would have died. Depends on how far you moved.

Definitely test your water asap

13. Merri68

Merri68Valued MemberMember

I suspect the move stressed your fish out and made it susceptible to either disease and/or bullying by its tank mates.

We sometimes forget how lucky we are that these creatures survive us in general. As much as we'd like to think we're providing them with a natural habitat, (sometimes taking extreme measures to do so), we are still The Watchers, members of an alien species, who scoop them up and replant them into an environment that is foriegn to their point of origin.

I find it amazing that some of our little charges actually become affectionate toward us, like a video i saw not long ago of a blood parrot that wanted to be "cuddled" by its owner. Hmmm...a fishy version of Stockholm Syndrome?

What they think of us, we'll probably never know... But as for myself,... If I suddenly found myself sloshed around in a clear plastic bag held by a giant hand, and physically put in a gigantic bucket, and moved to new quarters.. I would be so stressed all my hair would fall out, and that would be my mildest response to such a situation ☺ throw me in a room with other individuals after such a scary experience and I might go hide in a corner, too.

You did the best you could under the circumstances. Condolences over the loss of your fish.

14. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks for the ideas and support, everyone! I imagine the 5 hour drive stressed them to an extent, but I'm sure the filter dried up a bit too. :/ But I wonder maybe if the remaining 2 were bullying the others. Dunno. The remaining 2 seem fine at the moment. Same filter. I do 25-60% water changes every week. *shrug* Who knows? Fish are frail and stress easily. But I figure if it was water parameters or stress, they all would have succumbed, or sooner. Strange. I'll keep taking care of them as best as I can.

15. Nanjo4Valued MemberMember

Your softened water, if it's like mine, has all the GH minerals taken out. I think without those minerals fish can go into shock. API makes a kit for GH and KH. If you get it and find you're lacking GH, Seachem makes a product called Replenish that adds The minerals back into the water. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. OP
    OP
    a

Hmm. I'll have to look into it. If that was the case, though, wouldn't all of them have gone into shock?

17. Nanjo4Valued MemberMember

Yes I guess they would. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it might be good to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. CanadianMadeValued MemberMember

Did you by any chance have your dilter submerged in some tank water for the 5hr drive? If you didnt the filter probably dried out and killed the BB

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. OP
    OP
    a

For sure! I think it's a good suggestion! :)

20. OP
    OP
    a

I didn't. :( I had no idea it could dry out and kill the BB. :/ Now I know, eh? But at least the other 2 seem ok. I think we're slowly building up BB again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice