Male Cherry Barb nipping female fins

ZMAN3

I currently have 6 cherry barbs (4 female / 2 male) going through my 10 gallon quarantine tank. Tank has been cycled for over a month with the following parameters:

Temperature: 78
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5-20ppm depending on day
Water Changes: Weekly
Feeding: Once a day in the morning
Tank mates: 2 tiny Nerite snails
Decor: PVC fittings, 1 silk plant, no substrate

I added these barbs slowly over a couple of week to not spike the bioload. I noticed that after I added the 2 males, some of the females started getting tears/nicks in their dorsal, caudal, and pelvic fins. I wasn't sure if it was fin rot or nipping so I started treating with Seachem Paraguard this week. When I watch the tank closely now, it seems like the dominant male is chasing and doing his mating dance and nipping at the females.

So what is my course of action here? When I move them to the 30 gal main tank, will this behavior calm down? Do I add more females? Do I cull out the aggressive male? Leave them be for now?

Crimson_687

Sounds like breeding behavior. You can add more females so each female is bullied a little less. Regardless, the males are always going to go for the females and it’s not wise to keep them male-only. You’ll see the male get on breeding colors, a nice deep red, and the females will become egg barren and have a rounded appearance. As for a larger tank, that will definitely give the females more room and hopefully give them some time away from the males

SanDiegoRedneck

ZMAN3 said:
I currently have 6 cherry barbs (4 female / 2 male) going through my 10 gallon quarantine tank. Tank has been cycled for over a month with the following parameters:

Temperature: 78
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5-20ppm depending on day
Water Changes: Weekly
Feeding: Once a day in the morning
Tank mates: 2 tiny Nerite snails
Decor: PVC fittings, 1 silk plant, no substrate

I added these barbs slowly over a couple of week to not spike the bioload. I noticed that after I added the 2 males, some of the females started getting tears/nicks in their dorsal, caudal, and pelvic fins. I wasn't sure if it was fin rot or nipping so I started treating with Seachem Paraguard this week. When I watch the tank closely now, it seems like the dominant male is chasing and doing his mating dance and nipping at the females.

So what is my course of action here? When I move them to the 30 gal main tank, will this behavior calm down? Do I add more females? Do I cull out the aggressive male? Leave them be for now?
Cherry barb males can be very forceful. I have 3 males and 7 females. They really give it to them during spawning. I've found mine like java moss to twist n spawn in. Plus more place to take a break from the guys. Lol

Lots of hiding maybe a few more females

Top Bottom