Male Bolivian Ram and Male Apisto together in a 29 Gallon?

mentatsndietcoke

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Was wondering if anyone had experience or advice? I've got no interest in breeding, I'm really just after an interesting display tank in my living room. Without the females my thought is that there wouldn't be quite as much of the aggression that comes with breeding pairs and harems.

Currently, I've got a Bolivian Ram that I believe to be a male. He's not quite fully mature yet but strongly displays male aesthetics and his vent appears male. In the tank with him I've got 8 Glowlight Tetras, 3 Otos (will probably add 2-3 more), and 2 Mystery Snails. As far as the aquascape I've got some driftwood arranged to create several sizable nooks, crannies, and caves. Additionally, I've got a pretty decent assortment of Java Ferns, Anubias, Vallisneria Nanas, and Amazon Sword that will break up sight lines and provide hiding spots.

I've been looking at Cacatuoides, Borrellii, Agassizzii, and Trifasciata. But, I'm interested in apistogrammas in general so I'm not sold on any particular species yet. I'd just like a male due to their appearance versus the females.

Thanks!

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As far as aggression goes, you're still going to be alot better off with a small harem (1m, 2-3 f) than trying to make 2 male cichlids that inhabit the same part of the tank (and fight over the same territory) work. I love Apistos, and had to make the same decision stocking a 55g... so I'm buying a 20 long as a single species tank for an Apisto harem.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, I think the fact that they are going to inhabit the same area of the tank is the issue. I don’t think a 29 is quite large enough for two males. While they may tolerate each other for awhile, neither will be thriving.

OP
M

mentatsndietcoke

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the input y'all. It sounds like I'm better off adding a non-cichlid species. I really like Sterbai and Julii corys or maybe some more tetras could be fun. Diamonds, Black Phantoms, Cardinals, or False Penguins all catch my eye.

Just out of curiosity, what would you guys say the minimum tank size for keeping more than one species of dwarf cichlids?

New Threads