Male blue ram aggression when spawning

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Friendlyfish, Mar 24, 2010.

1. F

Friendlyfish New Member Member

Hi all,

We've had a mated pair of GBR for about a month now and they have spawned twice. When they do, however, the male chases around the female and sometimes other fish. The first spawn it was no problem, but this time around, the female is losing her coloration and just stays at the top most of the time.

Should I separate them?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Usually it's advisable to have two females for each male that way the aggression is spread around. Rams can be very aggressive when spawning.
    what size tank are they in? do they have enough hiding/sleeping places/ Places to get away from each other?
    If she's that stressed I personally would remove her and give her a chance to rest.

3. OP
    OP
    F

30 gallon tank with 9 tetras and BN pleco. It's very heavily planted, and she could hide if she wanted to, but she continues to dwell right at the surface. Seems strange to me.

Thanks for the response; I will see about quarantining her tomorrow.

EDIT: partially because I read all these things about GBRs being fragile, I am wondering what would be the best way to quarantine the fish? I would think just another tank filled with the water from the original tank, but I wanted to confirm that with you all.

Thanks!

4. a

acea091489 Valued Member Member

I would let them spawn again, and see what happens. If the male continues to be aggresive, I would separate them, and let the female get a break.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like she is pretty stressed. I'm afraid if she goes through another spawning at this time she won't live through it.
    Another tank would be fine. It will need a heater and filter though. If she's ok after about a week put er back and see how she does.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    F

Carol, thanks for the advice. I looked this morning and the female looks much less pale than yesterday. If I see more aggression or color changes I will move her to be sure. I am just a little concerned about the whole "my blue ram died" phenomenon that seems to occur when they are moved too often. I guess if I take the water and a filter from the old tank that will minimize the stress of transition.

7. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Like the suggestion above...get him another female also. Then when they spawn, the mom can take care of the nest, while he is attracted to the other female

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice