Help Male Betta Not Looking Too Sharp...

Yamaha1634

Reaction score
Tank
  • What is the water volume of the tank?
10l
  • Does it have a filter?
Yes
Yes
  • What is the water temperature?
26*C
  • What is the entire stocking of this tank?
1 Male Betta, around 12 RCS

Maintenance
  • How often do you change the water?
Every 2 weeks
  • How much of the water do you change?
20%
  • What do you use to treat your water?
Fluval AquaPlus
  • Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum

Parameters
  • Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
  • What do you use to test the water?
API master test kit
  • What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
pH: 6.8

Feeding
  • How often do you feed your fish?
Twice a day for 6 days, starve for 1 day
  • How much do you feed your fish?
4-5 HikarI pellets or 4-5 thawed frozen brine shrimp depending on the day, pellets 4 days a week, frozen 2 days a week

Illness & Symptoms:
  • How long have you had this fish?
2 months
  • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
3 days ago
  • In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms?
Lathargic, stopped eating, bloated with protruding scales, today noticed injury to right side
  • Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Starved for 3 days thinking constipation, fed peas
  • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
  • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Lathargic, stopped eating, bloated with protruding scales, today noticed injury to right side

Please explain your emergency in the best detail possible.

Monday morning noticed he wasn't eating and was a bit bloated with protruding scales, immediately thought dropsy so googled dropsy in Bettas and found that it may be just constipation. So decided to starve him for 3 days and on the 3rd day (today) I fed him small portions of green pea which he ate. He is still bloated although no worse than Monday, and he is still very lathargic, just sits still most of the day.

This evening however I noticed an injury to his right side behind his pectoral fin, when he has his fins against his body this injury is completely covered so I'm unsure if it has been there since Monday or just today. The injury is around 3 or 4mm in diameter, missing scales, white in colour and slightly fluffy in appearance.

So have 2 problems which need fixing, both fairly urgently! What should I do with him??

Attachments

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
this seems to be dropsy, unfortunately I can't help as I just lost a betta from dropsy recently and despite my effort I couldnt save it. I read that dropsy its very difficult to cure. Hopefully someone with more experience can help.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunate, it does look like dropsy. Dropsy is generally a sign or organ failure and is almost always fatal. I'm afraid it appears to be fairly far along. The only thing you can do is order medication (which I'm afraid will take to long to arrive) or try a salt dip. It might be time to consider euthanasia though, especially if those fail.

aced it

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
An epsom salt bath (not aquarium or table salt) can help relieve swelling caused by dropsy. It's cheap and very easy to find. 1 tbsp of epsom salt to 1 gallon of tank water is the ratio I believe, and you can leave them in there for 15-30 minutes under supervision. I would definitely fact check that information, but I think that's the instructions I used.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am very sorry about your betta, at this point I wouldn't think to medicate will do anything.
You can try salt dips like mentioned before, but euthanizing him would be the most humane choice.

New Threads