Male betta in a female sorority??

jpdeb

I just noticed that my halfmoon betta is not very aggressive to other fish although he chases them sometimes. So, has anyone here have any success of keeping a male in a female sorority?

Right now, I have a 30 gallon female sorority tank with the male inside. Should I keep him there?

Aster

I'm not a betta expert, but I believe no, because firstly, they would spawn, and secondly, the male would become aggressive towards the females to protect the eggs.

Al913

WELCOME to Fishlore!

Agree! A betta sorority is already a delicate thing to have and having a male betta in the tank will be catastrophe.

The first thing to worry about is the personality of each betta. In a sorority there is a rank of the leader to submissive. If you add a male betta the delicate line will be broken and they will be fights and more aggression to each other in order to be the dominate one in the tank. Either the male will become aggressive toward the females or the females will be aggressive toward the male trying to teach it it's place.

Next as mentioned above you will have to worry about possible breeding. The male if he isn't badly injured or any other fish were badly injure will try to find a mate and will pick a female. There will also be a fight for picking mates. But if this is a success than be sure that your luck will run out. Once the male and female starts spawning and he builds his bubble nest he will defend his territory. And when the female is ready to lay eggs he will protect her and the eggs. He will make sure no fish get near their area which would be a good 12 inches, at least!

What size tank is this and how many females?

jpdeb

There are 6 females and 1 male. They seem to be calm so far. The male is not chasing anyone right now so I think its a good sign that they are getting alone. The male betta has also bred with another female last month so I think he will not breed with any of them.

Al913

Anders247 Flowingfins

Aquaphobia

In my experience, females are slower to become aggressive, but just as capable. They could turn on your male at any point and rip him apart. I wouldn't risk it.

junebug

Your male betta will breed with the females, and that is if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, he will arbitrarily kill them all. HI'm having bred recently will not stop either of these things from happening.

Harems can work, but only in very specific circumstances set about by experienced aquarists. You need 4-6 hides per fish, or a tank that's so heavily planted that you can't see through to the back, or from one side to the other. And even then, there's a good chance the tank will fail.

Anders247

Agreed with junebug. This isn't a good idea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MrFishkeeper1
Replies
Views
BrynneAleks
Replies
Views
Gar2188
  • Question