Male Betta Hiding In New Tank

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me out here!

I got my male betta on March 30. I did not know much about fishkeeping and I wasn't aware of the nitrogen cycle before getting him (I know, shame on me) so I did originally put him in a unheated and unfiltered 2.5 gallon tank with a marimo moss ball. I added a black mystery snail and 2 ghost shrimp a few days after him, a small heater about a week later, and did around 40% water changes daily (with tap water conditioner) and he was alright for the first few weeks.

After doing a lot of research online about how to properly care for a betta, I upgraded to a 5 gallon Fluval Chi on April 21 (that is the largest size I have space for right now or I would go with a 10 gallon) and added an amazon sword plant and a bundle of moneywort on April 25.

I have had trouble feeding my snail and shrimp with algae wafers because my betta insists on munching on the wafers as well and then he gets constipated. I fast him and feed him a bit of shelled pea each time but on April 28 he got really lethargic after gorging on a wafer and he hasn't been right since then. He keeps hiding under his bridge or behind the filter. He used to swim all over the place and greet me but now it's almost like he doesn't exist.

I had the tank water tested at PetSmart on April 30 (picture below). I am now slowly trying to bring the hardness and pH down by replacing evaporated water with distilled water. I have reduced my water changes to 20% once or twice a week, using a gravel vacuum. I now feed my snail in a seperate container. I've also started leaving the light off to give him some rest as I think the main problem is that I messed around with his tank too much, especially when I added the plants. What else can I do to get him back to normal? I'd really like to see him swimming around again.

On a bright note my snail and shrimp seem healthy and active and the new shell growth on my snail looks shinier and better than the rest of his shell.

Here are the tank specs and equipment:
tank: fluval chi 5 gallon (set up on April 21)
substrate: black gravel, natural pebble mix
equipment: 8W heater (quite small but it keeps the water at around 77F)
inhabitants: 1 male betta, 1 black mystery snail, 2 ghost shrimp, 1 marimo moss ball, amazon sword, moneywort
betta food: NorthFin betta bits (2-4 daily when he isn't bloated)
snail/shrimp food: TopFin algae thins (once or twice a week)
water conditioner: API betta water conditioner (will start using Seachem Prime instead)

This is how he looks normally:
66714D85-AAB0-499D-BD5D-F0D346DDEA4D.jpeg

This is his tank now:
77F42B99-D995-4979-9ADE-F4A20265538E.jpeg

This is where he's been hiding most of today:
DC9AFF85-B782-4311-87C4-2575BC5FF6B6.jpeg

PetSmart water test results:
66F40C6C-18B2-4F89-948D-BFFFD5C3619D.jpeg

Sorry if this is too much information! Thank you for reading!

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The snail crossing the bridge xD lol! He is most likely stressed out from moveing to a bigger tank, completely normal.

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CanadianFishFan said:
The snail crossing the bridge xD lol! He is most likely stressed out from moveing to a bigger tank, completely normal.
Yeah, Bob the Snail is great I figured that he may be confused and stressed out by all the new stuff and my fussing about with the plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom