Male Betta Has Bloating And It Won’t Go Away!!! How Do I Treat Him?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by TuwJ, Jan 11, 2019.

1. TuwJ New Member Member

I have a male betta who lives alone in a 2.5 filtered gal tank and heated 78-80°F. His water parameters were normal and I did 50-75% wc (water changes) twice a week with API Tap Water Conditioner. He got fin rot so I hospitalized and did 100% wc a day with 1tsp aq salt per gal and the same API TWC in a tank that was neither filtered nor heated (75°). I did this treatment for a week and he began bloating. The fin rot stopped progressing so I stopped treatment and began to treat the bloating. I fasted him for a week but no bowel movement, so I fed him a pea. Fasted him again, no bowel movement and I felt bad so I fed him 1 pellet. He pooped but his stomach is still extremely bloated. He can’t swim and is always on his side like he’s dead and floats to the surface. It’s not dropsy either. I do 75% wc every other day with the same API and I scoop up all the poop. I don’t think it’s constipation, since he’s pooping fine after I feed him but his belly is still extremely swollen and he has no control of swimming. What’s wrong with him? How do I heal him?

2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

Which tank is he currently in? Cold water can cause lethargy, loss of appetite and bloating.

3. TuwJ New Member Member

He’s in the same hospitalized tank, which is at a constant 75°. I don’t heat the hospital tank since it’s smaller and my small tank heater doesn’t have any settings, it heats the 2.5 gal tank just fine but I’m afraid the heater would kill him since the hospital tank is smaller. I also read that warm water is bad for fin rot and the flow of the filter can disrupt the fun healing process so I kept the filter out. I noticed that the flow also made it hard for him to navigate in the tank when he was bloated and floating to the top. I ALSO read that aquarium salt is bad for bloating so I thought that if I stopped the salt treatment, his bloating would stop. But it hasn’t and it’s been 2 weeks now since I stopped the fin rot treatment.

4. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

You will have to forgive me but I never could figure out the concept of taking a fish from an already small tank that you can control the temp and placing them into a smaller tank to treat them. Everything could of been dealt with in the bigger tank since he was the only fish. Simply buffer the filter if it seems too strong. Yes cooler water slows down the bacterial growth of fin rot but its not optimal in the fishes health .

5. Rowan Valued Member Member

I'm so sorry your betta is sick. :( Can you post pictures? That might help to figure out what's going on.