Help Male Betta has a puff ball on his barbel ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Male Betta has a puff ball on his barbel ?! (photos added)

I'm thinking fungus.

WonBoBo has a small spot of white fluffy / puffball looking stuff on one of his barbels.

I cannot get out tonight to get anything for it, but I'm having my husband pick up some anti-fungus stuff tomorrow, as I will be at work all day.

Fungus is right, isn't it ?

Last edited:

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A picture would help, but the description sounds right. I'm assuming by barbel you are referring to his ventrils. One thing to note about fungus, it generally (though not always) occurs at the site of wounds so make sure there is nothing in the tank that may have injured him such as sharp decor. Fungus can be fast spreading so treatment is generally recommended. Mardel makes a good anti fungal called Maroxy. The Maracyns also have some anti fungal properties to them I believe though they are primarily anti bacterial. Maracyn Plus can not be combined with any other anti bacterial, but Maracyn 1 and 2 as well as Maroxy can be combined with any other Mardel medication if needed. Good luck!

OP
HOWsMom

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was able to find a Mardel fungus medication. I hope it works.

The spot on his ventril was gone in the morning. Not sure what that was after all.

But he's got white 'holes' on his head, the top part of his tail started with a hole (right at his body), and is white at his body now too. And a spot at his one fin - he's only swimming with one fin usually.

Not sure he's going to make it He looks terrible.

OP
HOWsMom

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

WonBoBo has gone to the great fish bowl in the sky.

We ended up trying : BettaFix (twice), Marcyn, Antibiotic food, and aquarium salt.

In the end, he literally looked like he was about to explode - his poor body was expanding by the minute. It was sad and a little scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.1%

Top Bottom