Male Betta fish has white patch below his mouth near his beard, possible fin rip

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by daniellee, Oct 2, 2016.

1. daniellee

danielleeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    My Male Betta fish has a black head and dark blue body. Today, I noticed he has some white underneath his chin before his reddish beard. It was hard to get a picture of it but I can try, he's pretty camera shy. It doesn't look like anything cottony or fluffy. Almost looks like his scales faded.

He also looks like he might have ripped his top fin also since the one piece close to the base of his spine seems to be thinner and in a separate strand.

I've only had him for 2 weeks or so and I got him from Meijer so it's not the most reputable place for pets, i'm just trying to be cautious incase something is wrong. I'm in the process of cycling right now.

pH 7.8
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

edit: started cycling 9/30

edit 2: was reading another thread and his body does not appear to be bloated or swollen in any way. I have noticed though he sometimes swims kinda funny against the glass, like he's trying to scratch his back

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. KittyFish62

KittyFish62Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think it's ich from all the stress it's been having from the ammonia.

3. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would take a wait-and-see approach to this. He doesn't really have enough symptoms for ich or anything much at this point. If you pick the wrong treatment it might make things worse.

Just keep monitoring your water and making sure it's not toxic to your Betta during the cycle process.

4. OP
    OP
    daniellee

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I take measurements every day and have a thread for my cycling.

I don't see spots or anything like other ICH fish i've seen. It's just a little white patch (it might not even be that white since his head is black) and it hasn't spread anywhere else.

He does sometimes swim funny like jerkily but for the most part, he seems fine. He is eating good and reacts to seeing me and isn't lethargic by any means. He gets 3 pellets in the morning and 2 at night, he gets freeze dried bloodworms once a week.

10/3 Water Readings
    pH *I always just go straight to high pH* 7.4
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 0 ppm

5. Aquaphobia

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    Since that pH result is right at the bottom of the high range scale I suggest testing with the regular pH test and see what that says.

Is there anything in his tank that he could have scratched himself on?

The jerky swimming might be normal, a lot of mine have done that movement, especially when they're excited about something

6. OP
    OP
    daniellee

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Sorry forgot to mention I tested regular pH right after (My pH is usually 7.8 and it went down to 7.4 and regular pH came out to be 7.6)

He has a rock thing in his tank that he sometimes swims under that might have scratched him but his two plants are silk and I haven't noticed anything severe happen.

7. Aquaphobia

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    The rock might be the culprit then. Bettas are funny about small spaces. They love poking their noses in holes and trying to squeeze through, between and behind anything they can!

8. OP
    OP
    daniellee

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    It could also be his heater though, I recently added it about a week ago and he likes to swim between the suction cups and sometimes sit on them even. The heater has groves towards the top that might have caught his fins. I ordered him something to sit on that should be here by Wednesday.

9. Aquaphobia

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    That too! Another small space

10. OP
    OP
    daniellee

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started

I was just doing some more research and I don't think it's ICH since he doesn't look like he was sprinkled with salt but i'm wondering if it's possibly columnaris?

11. OP
    OP
    daniellee

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Just updating this before my exam. The white hasn't spread today so i'm thinking hes fine. He might just be changing colors due to his environment being better for him from before

12. Aquaphobia

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    Columnaris has other symptoms that yours doesn't seem to have. I'm glad he's still fine! And yes, they will change colours, sometimes significantly, when they're given good conditions after being in those awful cups.

Also, if he has the marble gene, he may change colours throughout his life though from the pictures I don't think he has that. Can't be sure though!

Good luck on your exams!

13. OP
    OP
    daniellee

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes now that I think about it, he was more of a purple when I bought him and has transitioned more to a royal blue. Since he just had the heater and stuff added a week ago, i'm hoping it's just a color or lighting change since he doesn't seem sick.

I don't think he has the marble gene either due to his coloring being mostly uniform.

Thanks again for your help, i'm sure he's fine and i'm just being a paranoid mom. I'll watch for more rips though