Male Betta compatability

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Could you keep a male Betta with Glowlight Tetras and female Guppies? I'm not familiar with how nippy Glowlights are. (By the way, I think there would be 8 Glowlights and 4 female Guppies, along with 2 Otos.) I was planning on getting a female Betta or 2, but then I thought maybe I could get a male, since my mum loves those so much. Well, that is, if I get that 20 gal long I want...my parents kinda hinted to me they would get it for me, although I offered to pay with my money in the bank. It's an awesome deal--"Oak trimmed" 20GL tank, "oak" fluorescent hood, awesome Bio-Wheel filter for up to 50 gal, and heater, for just $100 U.S. :eek:
    Back on subject, the female Gups would be fine, wouldn't they, since they don't have the long finnage of males?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I don't think guppies and bettas are very compatible because of the guppies long fins seen as a threat to the betta. However, all bettas have unique personalities, and there is always an exception. A female betta might be a better choice if you are set on a betta. They are not as fancy as a male betta, but can be just as beautiful. ;)

3. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, I don't care that much about looks. I just like having little fishies as pets. ;) Females are just as cool as males.
    I actually thought possibly nippy tetras might be more of a problem than female Guppies with much smaller fins than the male Guppies which can't be kept with male Bettas, but anyway, I didn't really expect anyone to say it would work, just thought I'd ask anyway... ;)
    I'm thinking I might not get any Bettas yet, but wait and maybe get one (female) when one of my livebearers dies (I hate to think about that... :'(). I might get another Oto instead.