Male Angeslfish aggression towards female after spawn 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Dundeemac, Dec 14, 2012.

1. D

Dundeemac New Member Member

HI all,

I'm hoping someone has seen the same behaviour as I'm about to write about.

I have a pair of black Angelfish that have been spawning every couple of weeks. With each spawn the parents got better and better until the spawn was reaching the free swimming stage. Unfortunately, once the spawn was free swimming, thre was a free-for-all from the other fish in my community tank and they never lasted the night.

So I moved the pair to a 75 litre quarantine/breeding tank where they continued to spawn every couple of weeks. First spawn was taken by fungus and all subsequent spawns never even hatch. I'm guessing that the smaller amount of water mean more fluctuations in my water quality and will keep trying.

But what I'm writing about is to ask if anyone's observed the male getting extremely aggressive with the female 24 hours after they've spawned? And when I say aggressive I mean WOW. Even for Angels this seems violent. (And this is already a pretty aggressive pair - when in my main tank)The female has been beaten up by the male with visible damage to scales and eyes. SHe's completely cowed and hasn't eaten since I noticed the situation. The male is completey dominating her. Mock charges, actual charges.
    Is he know defending the spawn from the female? He's never done this before. Is it perhaps a residual 'hang-up' from when the pair spawned in my display tank and had to constantly defend the fry?
    I'm considering moving the female back into my display tank.

ANy thoughts/experiences?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

It would probably be a good idea to separate the Angels and give the female a chance to heal. Keep the water as pristine as possible and that should be all that is needed. Keep an eye open for secondary infections.

My Angel's spawned this week and about 2 weeks ago too. No survivors. However, there was no aggression from either Angel toward each other before, during or after spawning. They both guarded the eggs faithfully, cleaned them, fanned them. Today, they are doing just fine. No issues.

Best wishes for your fish. Keep us posted.

Ken

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful Angels!

Ken

4. OP
    OP
    D

Good advice thank. I'm seriously considering moving the agressive back to the main tank. The damage to the female looks pretty superficial so I'll see what happens over night.
    IMG_2218.JPG

Interestingly, when I turn off the lighting to the tank the aggression stops. Male hovers over the breeding cone in what looks like a defensive posture, but both fish have clearly abandoned the spawn and the eggs are all slowly turning white as they die. :-( When I turn the lighting back on take a pic,the aggresion immediately resumes. This is the set up
    IMG_2217.JPG
    Ph is 6.5 Ammonia 22ppm but the tank is cycling.
    30% water changes twice a week - it's this I think that has been lowering my chances for a successful hatching.
    Current behaviours are so strange though as during previous attempts the parents have been as you described- doting, dutiful parenting until the fry got destroyed in my main tank. They've never been aggressive towards each other, often it was the opposite and they've been almost "tender". So weird. i'll let you know if things get weirder

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Maybe a few more plants would make them more secure, Mum somewhere to hide also.

6. OP
    OP
    D

I think that's a pretty good idea and I'll definately add a few more.

Meanwhile I've removed the male. Female has taken food which is great but is showing no interest in the eggs. I'm guessing they'll be all eaten when I wake up tomorrow.

7. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

was i the first to notice this, but, i hope you don't meam 22 ammonia. that would be insane.
    when i moved my angels to a smaller tank to spawn the male would get a bit fiesty with her till i turned off the lights. if you are thinking of putting one of them back into the big tank, i would move the male back, let the female heal and then put her back in the big tank.

8. OP
    OP
    D

9. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

That is still quite high. If they are stressed they can be aggressive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice