Male angelfish wigging out?!?

Allie
The past 2 night my angelfish pair will get into a fighting match...then suddenly the male will wigg out fly all over the tank, upside down, sideways... hitting the canopy. Which I am glad we have b/c he would have ended up on the floor. Then when he is finished spazzing he sits on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy (no wonder) for a few minutes. Then he is fine.
He has only started doing this since we put them in the 44g Diamond tank...I wonder if the shape of the tank confuses him? Anyways, I didn't see him do it the first time but last night I saw it from start to finish. I was watching them bicker so I was already looking. He freaked the heck out of me. Very strange.
Has anyone experienced this with their angelfish before?

Butterfly
Maybe he asked the big question and she said yes Sounds very strange indeed.
Carol

Allie
Maybe he asked the big question and she said yes Sounds very strange indeed.
Carol

voiceless_kat
again!

I had a really good visual from your posting...and from Carol`s.

Get ready, dah, dah, dah, dah (wedding music)

I hope someone can help you with this, it will be an interesting one to follow.

Val

capekate
HI Allie
My angelfish have done that from time to time. It is very scary to watch. What I learned was to do an immediate water change. And then I would see improvement. Other than that, your angelfish may have got stunned or hurt during the aggression with the other angelfish. I had to finally separate my two, as the aggression was driving me crazy with worry. :-\

~ kate

Sabi
Never experienced it based on this reason.
Could be they are fighting over territory still, my angelfish each is boss of their tank over powering the other if introduced to their tank. This I am sad about as I think they are male and female but if I try to leave it to them sort out they come short of killing one another.

I agree with Kate, it could be his getting hurt somewhere while they are fighting that's making him dart about. My one angel darts about similar to this way when he gets startled, specially when I wipe the tank glass, so I have to wipe very slowly.

Allie
HI Allie
My angelfish have done that from time to time. It is very scary to watch. What I learned was to do an immediate water change. And then I would see improvement. Other than that, your angelfish may have got stunned or hurt during the aggression with the other angelfish. I had to finally separate my two, as the aggression was driving me crazy with worry. :-\

~ kate
I may have to do the same. My other female is in the tank with the pair and she is fine. But my male is constantly fighting and laying eggs with my silver female.
This would be the 3rd male she has had....maybe she a black widow? She drives them crazy before she kills them.

capekate
HI Allie
well, once again I had to move fish around due to the aggressive Angels.. jeesh... The silver that was in the 55 with the lone Discus, Ricky blue, was constantly harrassing him. Ricky blue would not stand down and there was a lot of posturing going on back and forth. Finally after watching the two get close enough to come to blows it was the final straw. Now the Discus is in the 29 gallon tank by itself out of harms way. The angel is in the 55 with the rainbows, which I find need cooler water than the Discus, so I was able to turn down the heat there, one good thing. Ricky blue once under the new lights showed some lines of scratches, probably from going into decorations or plants etc while fighting with the Angel.
So.. on that note.. you may end up having to find another tank for your angels too! Arnt they lil brats? lol...

~ kate

Allie
Thank goodness we have a few extra tanks up & running too.
I think my silver female is the aggressor...as I type all 3 are fighting. OY!!

capekate
yes, it is stressing for sure for us and them! May be time to think about moving an aggressor? It is lucky for us that we have extra tanks up and running. ;D

~ kate

Allie
Ok my aggressive female angels is in the 32g euro tank with our Blue Phantom pleco, who is also too aggressive to be with my other fancy plecos. I may put my Keyhole cichlids in there with her to keep her company.
My male seems way less stressed..he is just hanging out. Out of all the angelfish I have had...all the ones who got too aggressive were female. 2 of the 11 were male. I also had a large pair of comb tail angelfish. 8" male was the aggressor out of those two.
The Angelfish's name is quite deceiving.

capekate
HI Allie, yes, they sure do not live up to their namesake that's for sure!
Hope it works out with moving them around for you.
My Discus is still very quiet in his new tank, wondering what the heck happened today and The angelfish is wondering what shes going to do with her time now that there is no one to pick on! lol... ;D

~ kate

Butterfly
capekate
The first clue that this is true is that their Cichlids
Carol

.. absolutely Carol! Cichlids they sure are!

~ kate

Allie
The first clue that this is true is that their Cichlids
Carol
Very true.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kimbrelee
Replies
Views
Greengirl87