Male Angelfish Sick/Stressed?!

Kubitz Hunting

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Please Help! My male angelfish to my pair has been super black/dark the past month and a half! He is a zebra angel. I removed their second batch and after I removed him he got all stressed and mad so he turned a really dark black almost fully black and it has scared me ever since! He hasn't changed to his normal self since! He is really slow at swimming and doesn't really care about anything else beside eating. My female angel spawned a week ago and he didn't seem to care one bit to fertilize them he laid on the sand and didn't care one bit. He is all black and hasn't changed much. But today he look a bit tanner but came to a big white batch right before his high dorsal fin and really made me more scared! And the female hasn't gotten anymore plumper when she is about due in a couple days accordingly to their usual schedule.

But he is super black and doesn't care about anything but eating an moves very slowly?! Can anyone tell me what you think is wrong?!

Nitrates and Nitrites are fine
Ammonia- 0
Ph- 6.5

I'll add photos off my phone of what he looked like today

Tolak

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this pair in their own tank, and if they are what size tank is it? If not what are the other tankmates?

Tolak

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK, angels coloring up when breeding is pretty normal, and they will switch colors back & forth pretty quickly, especially your zebras & silvers with the stripes. If they've got some black in their genetics such as a lace they can get pretty dark, and just plain pretty IMO.

If they're well settled in the male may just be getting complacent. Consider adding a dither to keep him on his toes, many breeders will use a juvie cull angel for this. Being planted gives the dither a place to hide out, make sure there's some plants well away from the usual spawning site.

Kubitz Hunting

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay, yah the pair are a zebra lace but the female changes quite often from dark to silver, but my problem is he has been PURE BLACK no stripes for the past month and a half to 2 months after taking out their second batch of fry and he hasn't been the same sense. HE only eats then goes right back to the floor and just sits there. His fins are starting to tear and as I mentioned has began a big white patch just before the dorsal fin. The female acts fine but the male is just black with no stripes and hasn't changed, he's super stressed or sick, losing parts of his fins, has a big white patch before his dorsal fin, and only eats then goes right back to the bottom and stays there. He hasn't been his self ever since.

Fin Rot, stress coat, and ICK medications have not worked at all.
Tolak

Tolak

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What do the feces look like? Hiding, especially towards the back or a corner is one sign of internal protizoans, white stringy feces and being slow to eat are a couple more. It isn't that hard to treat, pretty common thing in cichlids, especially angels & discus. As always, it's best to start with the least invasive treatment first, this means no medication at all if possible.

Kubitz Hunting

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What do the feces look like? Hiding, especially towards the back or a corner is one sign of internal protizoans, white stringy feces and being slow to eat are a couple more. It isn't that hard to treat, pretty common thing in cichlids, especially angels & discus. As always, it's best to start with the least invasive treatment first, this means no medication at all if possible.
I haven't look at feces but I will pay attention to that now that you say it. He usually stays with the female but he just stays put in one spot whether in a corner, behind a log, plant, or slate. But when there is food he knows when i feed him but is slow to move up to it because of the losing fin parts, and slow moving.
I tried about a month of a 50% water change every 3 days and never worked so i tried the stress coat that didn't work, then the fin rot didn't work, then ick didn't work. I'm back to 25% water changes every 3 days and isn't doing anything.

Tolak

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it were one of my angels I'd be treating it as an internal protizoan issue. What you'll need is a 10 gallon tank, a heater that can bring that up to 90F, and an air supply or filter to create surface motion, at a higher temperature you'll want to make sure the O2 level stays up there. Pick up some metronidazole, Seachem sells it as Metroplex, hex a mit is another common product with metro, National Fish Pharmacy carries it in bulk; another source is Fishmox;

Bring the fish in the 10 gallon up to 90F over several hours. Dose 40mg/gallon metro with a daily 50% water change & remed. Since the fish is eating sprinkle a bit on some frozen brine shrimp, feed this only once daily. It's either hexamita or spironucleus, protizoans that are a common part of a fish's digestive flora. Normally their immune response keeps them under control, stress reduces this immune response, they can grow out of control. Real common thing breeding angels, metro is one of the few meds I keep on hand.

Keep up with the daily med, water change & feeding routine for 10 days.

Kubitz Hunting

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If it were one of my angels I'd be treating it as an internal protizoan issue. What you'll need is a 10 gallon tank, a heater that can bring that up to 90F, and an air supply or filter to create surface motion, at a higher temperature you'll want to make sure the O2 level stays up there. Pick up some metronidazole, Seachem sells it as Metroplex, hex a mit is another common product with metro, National Fish Pharmacy carries it in bulk; another source is Fishmox;

Bring the fish in the 10 gallon up to 90F over several hours. Dose 40mg/gallon metro with a daily 50% water change & remed. Since the fish is eating sprinkle a bit on some frozen brine shrimp, feed this only once daily. It's either hexamita or spironucleus, protizoans that are a common part of a fish's digestive flora. Normally their immune response keeps them under control, stress reduces this immune response, they can grow out of control. Real common thing breeding angels, metro is one of the few meds I keep on hand.

Keep up with the daily med, water change & feeding routine for 10 days.
Thanks so Much! I just bought a 10 gallon speaking of which!
How hot/cold will the water changes be? WIll I want to keep it the same at 90? or a little hotter or colder?
Would a 20 gallon filter be enough surface motion? Should I put a sponge filter with it or a air filter for a lot of surface motion?
Thank You!

Kubitz Hunting

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh also do they sell those meds at Petsmart or Petco? I don't have nay LFS around my town, closest one is an hour and a half :/

Tolak

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll want to temperature match the replacement water. The 20 gallon filter should work fine, as long as it creates plenty of surface motion, if you need to increase that you can drop the water level a bit.

Metroplex is a Seachem product, if the shop carries Prime they should be able to get it in if they don't have it in stock.

Kubitz Hunting

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You'll want to temperature match the replacement water. The 20 gallon filter should work fine, as long as it creates plenty of surface motion, if you need to increase that you can drop the water level a bit.

Metroplex is a Seachem product, if the shop carries Prime they should be able to get it in if they don't have it in stock.
Okay? I didn't get what you said on the last part? If the store carries prime... what? And so metroplex would work? Also what should I use to cure it? Because you're naming a lot here

Tolak

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Metroplex is Seachem's brand name of metronidazole. Seachem also make Prime. Use Metroplex the same as you would metronidazole, as I outlined above. If they have a supplier for Prime they should be able to get in Metroplex with their next delivery if they don't have it in stock.

If you plan on doing more with angels, more breeding pairs, raising & selling the offspring, see if the shop can try to keep Metroplex on hand, or consider getting it online in a larger quantity. In most cases there's shipping charges involved with online purchases, weigh that cost against your local sales tax.

Kubitz Hunting

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Metroplex is Seachem's brand name of metronidazole. Seachem also make Prime. Use Metroplex the same as you would metronidazole, as I outlined above. If they have a supplier for Prime they should be able to get in Metroplex with their next delivery if they don't have it in stock.

If you plan on doing more with angels, more breeding pairs, raising & selling the offspring, see if the shop can try to keep Metroplex on hand, or consider getting it online in a larger quantity. In most cases there's shipping charges involved with online purchases, weigh that cost against your local sales tax.
So Metroplex is all I need to buy for the disease he has?
Also yes, all I do as of now is a lot of angelfish breeding and guppy breeding, I have 3 pairs of angelfish as of now and a lot of grow out tanks for other angels growing into pairs.

Also Rivieraneo is API General Cure like Metroplex and what Tolak said above? So that would be all I need?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom