male and female?

1. LykeOMGee Member Member

My hubby and I are getting 2 jack dempseys tomorrow, both are still young but we are getting them off Kijiji. I was just wondering if you would be able to tell me if these two are male and female? One is roughly 2 in and the other is 4-5 in and the same age.

Here is a picture of them... I'm pretty sure they are, but this is my first time having jack dempseys (yes I've been reading up on them, they will be going into our 90g tank)

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Love the jacks!!! but those two are still too young to sex :( Or they are stressed and their colors arent showing. Im sorry.

Males will be larger and have more spackles(blue colors/spots) around their gill plates and face. Most males have a pointed dorsal fin also. If you get a good pair, they will color up really well at about 3-4 inches.

EDIT: I thought their were 3 fish in that picture! LOL
    The bigger one is a male but the smaller is not showing any colors and even females will have some coloring

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It is really hard to tell male and female JD apart. Males grow long pointed dorsal fins that are lined with red. They may have round black dots toward the back toward the tail. Females generally have smaller fins than males and have fewer or no black spots toward the tail. Males will develope a hump on the cranium after a few years. I can't really tell from these pictures if they are male and female yet. Maybe someone with more experience can call it while I cannot.

Wendy

4. LykeOMGee Member Member

Haha I thought there was three too! But yeah I'm hoping that the small one is female because I read online that only a male and female can be together cause two males will fight.. and I wouldn't want to get rid of either one! Is there anything special I can feed them to make her/his colors come in quicker?

Funny question but because we are getting these from kijiji and we've never housed them before.. Is the small one for sure a jack? Haha I feel like an idiot :p

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Please do not feel like an "idiot". Most of us started out as you are :) and thats why the forum is here :)

They are both jacks, its just hard for me to sex the smaller one. And no, just because they hang out together, doesnt meant they are a m/f combo. Both sexes can/will hang out together. But with that being said, they do look like they get along, and the tank you have is great, so id go for it!

As far as feeding them and getting some great colors out of them, heres a thread to check out with making your own food~!! Its much cheaper and so much better for the fish! https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/47984-homemade-frozen-food-recipes.html

6. LykeOMGee Member Member

Thanks I'll definitely check that out, since also there is no fish store close by me atm. It's only a 20 min drive, but to petsmart. Ugh pet stores.. I want my lfs back :(
    Anyhoo, the couple that have them atm have had them both since they were young (bought together) so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that, even if they are both male, they will get a long good. I will be getting them today so expect some pretty pictures :)

7. LykeOMGee Member Member

So we got them! Yay they are beautiful! There measurements were a bit off but that's fine! The smaller one definitely has coloring only on the gil area so figures crossed that it's a female! Going to take some pictures when they are settled in. They are currently with our 12-13in Pleco :) big huge rock one one side and a smaller cave on the other.. I also just found out that the people we got them from didn't realize they would grow so quick and had them in a 20-30g tank. But they are happy that they will be in a 90g now haha :)

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Awesome!!!! Cant wait to see pictures :) I have a few videos of my breeding pair and ill gladly share if you want to see what you can expect :) Good Luck!

9. LykeOMGee Member Member

Yes that would be awesome! Would love to see!

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Dont let this scare you, not all survive. BUT, they could if you wanted them too! http://youtu.be/txB1itXXGe4 Sorry about the TV in the background! LOL

11. LykeOMGee Member Member

Very cute babies! I'm going to be calling a pet store see if they will buy/take them from me or maybe trade in for food and stuff. I'm not 100% sure yet about what I'm going to do if not.. Probably just let them live and see what happens? Maybe sell? Haha I'm already breeding a crayfish.. Too many tanks lol oh my

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Im excited for you. JD's are a fun fish with a ton of personality. Share pics of your tank when you can. Im envious of the 90g!

13. LykeOMGee Member Member

Yeah I'm going to take some tonight once my daughter goes to bed and ill post them! hopefully they turn out good. We have a goldfish in the tank ATM to see how the jacks do because the goldfish is pretty large.. The smaller one swims around so fast and already has a hole dug out under the small cave and so far the male jack has decided to hang out with Bob (Pleco) lol

14. LykeOMGee Member Member

So if they happen to be male and female, how old/big do they have to be before mating?

15. buzz4520 Member Member

the larger one looks female and the smaller one may be too small yet to sex.
    here's a pic of my male jd.

Attached Files:

• 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      170.7 KB
      Views: