male and female together?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by klutz10154, Jan 6, 2013.

1. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

I was wondering if you can put both together in the same tank ?

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Sure you can. Just not the species that's available in the store.

3. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

Umm huh? So you're saying I can put my male and female betta in the tank together in the tank or no?

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Not if you bought your fish at the store. There are many different species of bettas, many of which can be kept as a pair. Splendens (store bought), are not one of them.

5. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

Ook out of curiosity why is that?

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Some betta species are more aggressive than others. The kind sold at the store is a very aggressive species and will fight each other. You could keep the pair if you divide the tank, but make sure that there is no room for them to jump over the divider - because they will.

7. Kiara1125Well Known MemberMember

Betta splendens cannot be housed together (male and female) unless breeding. Other fish like Betta imbellis can be housed together because they're more peaceful and are community fish.

8. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Wild Betta splendens can be kept in pairs or groups. Domestic hybrid splendens cannot. So in short no, they cannot be kept together.

9. GrumpyguppyNew MemberMember

Female bettas can be housed together... even the pet store kind
    But if you put male and female betta together, there are 2 things that may happen...
    1) They mate
    2) They fight to death

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

This really isn't accurate. Females will often kill each other, there is no guarantee that they wont. After mating, the female must be removed or it will be killed by the male.

11. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Additionally, I have to disagree with the idea of keeping them in a divided tank. Unless the tank is divided with a glass or acrylic plate siliconed in place, the bettas will be able to "smell" each other (detect each other's pheromones) and this could cause the female to become eggbound.

Before I knew the wonderful world of FishLore, I read on a few websites that males and females could be kept together. I can tell you from experience they can't. The male - who was rather tolerant of other fish - chased her relentlessly. I ended up relocating her, but she didn't make it. And this was in a matter of a few days.

12. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

For the record, i have never had egg binding be an issue with my bettas, i keep 1-2 females divided with 1-2 males for a few years now.

13. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

+1 I had to keep my male and female betta grow out systems completely separate. I had a lot of issues with eggbound females in the past.

14. AquariaUKValued MemberMember

So in short, don't try it. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice