Male and Female Platys

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by happygolucky, Aug 8, 2015.

1. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

So against what most people decided that I should do for cycling, I grabbed some Stability, some Prime, and 3 mickey mouse platys. I asked for all male(because I really don't want babies), but one I received was female, which I only realized after bringing them home. The transition went well, all fish are swimming well and are not hiding, but I fear, both for platy babies, and for the female's life. The males seem to both be following the female, and I don't think she likes it at all. So what do you all suggest? Take the girl back and get a male, or wait it out? I want to take her back, but then I'm afraid of a death match between 3 males(and I thought platys were calm). I could go all female, but what if the female comes to my house already pregnant?

2. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

"Waiting it out" won't help. The males will not stop trying to mate with the female. She will be constantly pestered by them. If you don't want the risk of babies, then the only solution is to take the female back and go all male.

3. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Well then I hope she can survive the night. Are you sure males won't get aggressive with each other?

4. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

They will bicker amongst themselves, but typically little to no damage is done. Taking the female out of the mix should calm them down considerably.

5. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Ok thanks :)

6. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

So I've been thinking(never a good thing), and I think that I may return both a male and a female, as I really don't want the fish to fight and I'm a paranoid person. I have one male that seems to be doing the best, he ate, he wasn't chasing the female, and he's quite active, so he'll be the one to keep. I want purchase a balloon molly to replace the two platies. Is this a good idea for a cycling tank? I don't want my platy alone, so would he socialize with a molly? Do either of them need companions of their own species?

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Balloon mollies have been bred to be deformed and they're generally not recommended as they lead shorter lives and you're supporting the bad breeding by buying them :(

I think you could easily have 3 male platies without issues. Without a female, they might fuss a bit, but once their pecking order is fixed, you should have a pretty peaceful tank :)

8. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

If you are looking to prevent any and all bickering in your tank, that probably isn't going to happen. Even highly social and "peaceful" species will have their squabbles and bicker amongst themselves. It's natural. Nobody gets along 100% of the time.

Both the platies and mollies are social species and prefer to live in groups. Mollies and platies can coexist with each other, but it won't be the same as having a member of their own species to socialize with.

Balloon mollies appear to have more health issues than normal mollies. Probably linked to their deformed body shape. I wouldn't choose one of those to cycle your tank.

9. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Aw that's sad :(. And ok, I'll definitely exchange my female for a male tomorrow, I just hope she survives the night! One of my males and my female are both sort of hovering closer to the ground, they're not moving too much(as in they move around the tank then stay in one spot for a bit), but the other one is going where he wants and seems very active. Is this a sign that something is amiss? I added Sachem Prime, so it's definitely not ammonia or nitrite toxicity.

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I don't think it's anything to worry about! Probably still adjusting to their surroundings.

11. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

As long as they are still swimming or hovering, I wouldn't start freaking out just yet. If they stop swimming and just sit on the bottom of the tank for long periods of time - then I would worry.

12. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Thanks for the help, and yes I do seem them swimming around, maybe they have just chosen a hiding spot that they enjoy returning to.

13. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

Not every fish adjusts to new surroundings at the same speed. Just give them some time to settle in. :)

14. Bob Ellis

Bob EllisValued MemberMember

I had three males in a 10g with no trouble.

I've been bitten by difficult sexing before, occasionally a platy will appear female but then mature late into a male. I had a group of attractive Rainbow Wags that appeared to everyone to be two males and four females. After a couple months of growing it became clear it was actually three and three.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice