Male And Female Betta

Rohit C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just finished a 10G tank cycling and got a crown tail male betta and a half moon female.
Put them in after proper acclamation.

And now the male seems to be afraid of the female every time the female comes by it just skids off frantically and goes and hides.

What’s happening?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most likely stress. Add a lot of hiding places for both bettas. Are you trying to breed them?

Set up another tank as an emergency tank just in case the breeding goes wrong.

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Why do you have them in the same tank? Does the female also have her own tank? Males and females can’t be in the same tank together unless in huge aquariums and it still doesn’t always work.
If your trying to breed them it is very time consuming and expensive and not recommended unless you already have someone to sell to. They also have 100+ fry.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CloudTheFluffy said:
Why do you have them in the same tank? Does the female also have her own tank? Males and females can’t be in the same tank together unless in huge aquariums and it still doesn’t always work.
If your trying to breed them it is very time consuming and expensive and not recommended unless you already have someone to sell to. They also have 100+ fry.
They can have up to 400 fry.

If you’re breeding them, @Katie13 and @KaderTheAnt can help you out.

Rohit C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CloudTheFluffy said:
Shoot, I was just going after a few people who said they made it work. Keeping A male and female together.
So I guess I should separate them?
What about just putting a screen in the middle ? Really don’t feel like returning either and don’t really have space for another tank .

75g Discus Tank said:
Most likely stress. Add a lot of hiding places for both bettas. Are you trying to breed them?

Set up another tank as an emergency tank just in case the breeding goes wrong.
Wasn’t really going for breeding

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Having them in the same tank separated will be just as bad. The female will still "smell" the male and will hold her eggs awaiting a chance to breed. This can cause her to become egg bound and become very ill from it. I'd suggest rehoming one of them if you have nowhere else to put either of them.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From what i’ve Read, if they do breed you have to move the female immediately as the male won’t tolerate her and kill her.

So you would need another tank anyways.

The reason he’s skittish is probably because he is immature. If he was mature he would be flairing at her to impress.

You choice is either rehome the male which would give you the option of adding a few small fish, maybe or rehoming the female and just have the male in there.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some people make male/female pairs work in LARGE tanks, but a 10g isn't going to work. You need to rehome one of them.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hunter1 said:
You choice is either rehome the male which would give you the option of adding a few small fish, maybe or rehoming the female and just have the male in there.
I wouldn’t reccomend any other fish with a betta in a 10g, regardless of gender. Females can be just as aggressive as males and all my females have actually been more aggressive than any male I’ve owned. To do a community betta tank responsibly you need at least a 20 long heavily planted tank. In a 10 there’s no room for any fish to get away if needed, even if it were to be heavily planted.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with the above. You need to separate them, whether that means rehoming or buying another tank, or someone is going to get seriously hurt sooner or later. It's relatively common for male and female bettas to kill each other, even in carefully monitored breeding situations.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom