Male And Female Betta Fish In A Community Tank

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have a 30 gallon tank with 1 male Blue Betta and a 8 gallon tank with 5 Female Betta Sorority with no issues. Recently I moved a single female Betta which looked a little bloated into the 30 gallon tank to keep the male Betta company. He quickly made a bubble nest and the female swam around him and he tried remaking his bubble next time and time again. He finally gave up, and having such large fins, hes not the fastest of swimmers. They share the tank with 6 harlequine rasporas, a mystery snail, 6 mollies, 5 ocasiclids, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, and 10 ghost shrimps in a planted tank. The male just hangs in his corner now, so I introduced another betta from the sorority 8 gallon tank. So far everyone is getting along. The females now have someone to swim with and male is content to be lodged in the plants.
20180514_074640.jpg
20180526_062555_HDR.jpg
20180526_062619.jpg
20180526_062629.jpg

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well to start off, Your tanks are overstocked. 5 bettas in an 8 gallon? You’re asking for trouble. It doesn’t matter that you thinl theyre doing fine. Can you tell us the water parameters? How many of them have stress lines? When do you do a water change?
The recommended tank size for a sorority is 20 gallons long with a minimum of 6 female bettas.

Your 30 gallon isn’t 30 gallons, you have to exclude the gravel and the decorations. You’re saying you have a snail, 6 rasboras, 6 mollies, 5 otocinclus(im assuming that’s what you meant?) and a pleco? The mollies alone with the pleco will overstock the tank. They are heavy waste producers.

Males aren’t community fish IMO. They should never be with other bettas either, be it M/F or M/M. It may look like they are enjoying the company but the 2 females will either gang up on the male and shred his fins or the male with destroy one of the females. Even though they are trying to spawn, you didn’t condition them. So they wouldn’t be healthy enough to spawn and the eggs will most certainly be eaten by the tank mates.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most of the issues are are covered above.

You would need a larger tank and many more females for this to work out.

You will also need to plant it like a jungle.

@david1978

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, made some minor adjustments until I can figure what else I can do. I have female Bettas in the 8 gallon and 3 bettas in the 30 gallon. I donated the mollies to my LFS. Current water conditions in my 30 gallon are: 7.1 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2ppm nitrate, and 208 tds. My 8 gallon are: 7.6 PH, +0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 2ppm Nitrate, 225 TDS. So far no signs of black fin rot and they are all been mellow with no aggression observed yet. I have 3 tanks, the last one is a 55 gallon and they are on a daily rotation of 25 percent water changes, so about 1.5 water changes each tank per week.

And the plants are growing like crazy so I have to trim back every month. Sometimes I donate my plant trimmings as well. My friend said its the cleanest home tanks he's ever seen, but I see a bit of green algae growing.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Victor Noda said:
Ok, made some minor adjustments until I can figure what else I can do. I have female Bettas in the 8 gallon and 3 bettas in the 30 gallon. I donated the mollies to my LFS. Current water conditions in my 30 gallon are: 7.1 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2ppm nitrate, and 208 tds. My 8 gallon are: 7.6 PH, +0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 2ppm Nitrate, 225 TDS. So far no signs of black fin rot and they are all been mellow with no aggression observed yet. I have 3 tanks, the last one is a 55 gallon and they are on a daily rotation of 25 percent water changes, so about 1.5 water changes each tank per week.
In your profile it states 3 gallon, 20 gallon and 57 gallon. What size tanks do you really have?

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We gave away our 20 gallon and replaced it with a 30 gallon. And gave away our 3 gallon and replaced it with an 8 gallon. I just call our 57 gallon one 55 because its easier for me to remember

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would put the sorority in the largest tank possibly and put the male in the eight-gallon (or any other tank that he will be by himself, without any other betta)

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gonna go teplace the newly purchased 8 gallon tank and replace it with something that's 18 inches x 18 inches x ?

Doing a lot of juggling here. Lucky Ive got a LFS that likes our mollies. We thought doing a sorority was gonna be fun and thought we were helping them for their little jars on their shelves...bought a book

Pretty good book

Betts and gouramis

Attachments

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CONCLUSION: Well thanks everyone for their input. Still learning here. And I finally updated my Aquarium Stats to current. Which will probably change today as I go out and replace my 8 gallon tank for something bigger. Probably gonna go out and find an aquarium that is 18" x 18" x 36" tall...hopefully not too tall for my 4 betta sorority. There's a reason why they are called Chines Fighting Fish and why they sell them separately in individual jars. We thought we were "saving" them from their small captivity, but in the end, it's best to leave just one Betta Per Aquarium or Do A Lot of Research Before Attempting to even Think About Breeding Betta's. Betta Sorority's need plenty of room and plenty of plants for them to hide in.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom