Male Albino Bristlenose Pleco - very bloated belly and nose

EchoI

Reaction score
HI all,

I've seen a lot of posts about these poor guys bloating and they all seem to lose unfortunately. I'm too newbie to try salts, and peas aren't getting eaten. I don't have a separate tank I can segregate with either. This is after 2 days fasting the tank. Please could I have some help saving this guy, he's really cool and my favourite fish!

His belly is so big his mouth can't reach the surface! Also this black spot has developed and grown, and he's gone quite pale. Now I'm guessing he can't get comfortable as he's all over in odd positions for a long periods.

He is so pale now, use to be as yellow as the female

Attachments

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI EchoI welcome to fishlore and sorry to hear about your pleco..I hope the link will help off the forum a member did about their pleco...is he on his back on the second picture?

Bristlenose Pleco has bloated belly! Help - | Pleco - Plecostomus 68571

EchoI said:
He is so pale now, use to be as yellow as the female
If he's going pale and losing colour it's usually when they're not going to survive but have hope and hopefully other members besides will help :)

OP
E

EchoI

Reaction score
Tez said:
HI EchoI welcome to fishlore and sorry to hear about your pleco..I hope the link will help off the forum a member did about their pleco...is he on his back on the second picture?

Bristlenose Pleco has bloated belly! Help - | Pleco - Plecostomus 68571

If he's going pale and losing colour it's usually when they're not going to survive but have hope and hopefully other members besides will help :)
Thanks I will look, second pic is the healthy female pleco

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with DoubleDutch about feeding raw veggies. Feed this little guy nothing but raw veggies until he starts feeling better. If he has never had them it may take a lot of patience. It will take him a while to discover it is actually food. I highly recommend you try zucchini. Just wash a slice of it really well and place it where he tends to spend most of his time. Don't peal it. Quite often the skin ends up being their favorite part. Keep putting it in the same place until he starts eating it. By feeding it raw you can leave a piece of it in there up to 48 hours before having to remove and replace it.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly it looks like a bacterial infection rather than just regular bloating, specially with the slightly raised scales and discoloration of the belly.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
This what mine looked and looks like now.
That one looks like just bloat, specially since the scales are all to the body instead of raised.

OP
E

EchoI

Reaction score
As with all the posts I looked through...he didn't make it. I felt bad but knowing if I did nothing he'd die, I put him in a floating segregation box with some cucumber hoping he might try it, didn't touch it.

Any idea what the black spot on his face was? Tank levels are all spot on, the other two little plecos seem fine and eat well.

Attachments

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
EchoI said:
As with all the posts I looked through...he didn't make it. I felt bad but knowing if I did nothing he'd die, I put him in a floating segregation box with some cucumber hoping he might try it, didn't touch it.

Any idea what the black spot on his face was? Tank levels are all spot on, the other two little plecos seem fine and eat well.
Black mark looks like a color spot.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
EchoI said:
It only developed over the last couple of weeks
Color isn't stagnant with fish and lemons are known to get random brown patches (most of the time it is younger fish that lose it or it gets smaller as they get bigger). I am sorry he didn't make it.

New Threads