Malaysian Trumpet Snails

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I received some Malaysian trumpet snails as a "bonus" from an Aquabid buy. The other night, I believe they were "snuggling", but I can't find any information on how they actually breed.

Does anyone have any information on how they breed? I'm wondering if I saw what I thought I saw and I also want to make sure I told my daughter the correct information on what they were doing.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Malaysian Trumpet snails reproduce asexually. They are live bearers and produce approx one live snail baby a month.
so I guess they were snuggling but not doing anything else
Carol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Actually, they can reproduce sexually (to maintain a diverse gene pool), but are also capable of reproducing asexually (which is why all it takes is one female to populate a tank).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, they can reproduce sexually (to maintain a diverse gene pool), but are also capable of reproducing asexually (which is why all it takes is one female to populate a tank).
Thanks SDS I hadn't read they could reproduce sexually but does make sense.

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I learned something new, too. I was curious, because the snail is a high enough order of animal that it seems really odd for it to be solely self-copying, so I looked it up. I got the info from Wikipedia (which got it from a University's marine biology department, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate).

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you both!

Leave it to me to have "naughty" snails

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my nerites "suggle" like that.....i thought maybe something was going on, but wasn't sure. not that it matters, as their eggs can't hatch in freshwater.

i got a few MTS yesterday to put in my shrimp tank with sand. i think i read that shrimp and/or snails won't breed out of control, if they aren't being way overfed. i'm not sure, but i think overfeeding is kind of subjective.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom