Malaysian trumpet snails

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I had snails years ago, and recently saw them in the pet store. I went back yesterday and bought a tiny "critter carrier" and asked about the snails. the guy gave me 9. 4 are Malaysian Trumpet Snails and the other 5 are what he called generic pond snails, although they look like the apple snails and mystery snails. I have no idea how to identify them. I have two questions on the mystery snails. 1 - will they get bigger than about a 1/2 inch. 2 -- I read that they carry a parasite which is dangerous to humans. i have young children and if they are dangerous, i need to get rid of them now. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails will keep your substrate loose and they will eat excess food. The down side to this is if you are over feeding or not cleaning the gravel well they will have a population explosion. Snails will grow to the amount of food available to the.
Malaysian trumpet snails will grow slower than pond snails because they produce one live baby a month and pond snails lay globs of gelatinous goo with many many eggs inside.
I have read about them carrying a parasite but in all my many years of fish and snail keeping haven't seen any.
Carol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If they did have a parasite, your child would have to either eat them (a possibility, depending on the child), or handle them and then stick unwashed fingers in their mouth. There are numerous parasites that can grow in aquarium water (not that every aquarium will have them), so it's always a good idea to wash your hands immediately after getting your hands wet. It's probably also an excellent idea to work with your child on doing the same. "Okay, now that we've fed the fish, we need to go wash our hands." Basically try to make it a reflex to wash after coming into contact with the tank.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont' think he would eat them, but he will put his hands in the tank and little boys aren't the cleanest little creatures! ;:barf he doesn't always wash his hands like he should!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom