Malaysian Trumpet Snails

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Tanganyikan tank has what I consider an infestation of MTS. I have never had snails in this tank before. I apparently did not rinse the anubias properly. In a half an hour I pulled out at least 60 snails of various sizes. Ok, I will try the blanched lettuce method and consider buying assassin snails. I do like the MTS sand burrowing detritus eating nature, but their population is disturbing. Any suggestions ? Take in the fact that I am dealing with a planted Tangany. cichlid tank. Thanks. I realize that this is a common problem for some.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People will tell you not to overfeed, but in my experience, that doesn't always work. I have a 20g that has no fish in it, doesnt get any type of food, and the mts are still thriving.

I'd suggest using the water bottle trap to catch and remove the snails. I use it on my 29g planted tank to try to keep the numbers in check.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I was against them at first but have accepted them. They are beneficial to the tank they do clean up and move the gravel around. Plants grow great in that tank. There’s hundreds in my 30gal. Yet no problems all readings are fine. Trying to add them to a 90 but the clown loaches are eating them. So they are also food. I have them in a shrimp tank and it seems the shrimp are out eating them because theyre dying off. Used to see them all the time but now I rarely ever see them. So of all the pest snails I think they are the most beneficial. Assasin snails are also pest snails that grow in numbers.

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
  • I will look into the water bottle trap method to catch and remove the snails if they get unmanageable. I'll try to focus on the benefits of having them...like cleaning and sifting through the substrate, perhaps it will help to lower my nitrates. I have been thinking of adopting a no food Friday for my tanks that should help also. And yes I do 50% water changes biweekly.
  • Clever name 86 ssinit. as in let's 86 it or assassinate it.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry not that much imagination. It’s a combination of cars and boats I’ve had. A 86 Porsche a Monte Carlo SS and a boat named init. But thanks I’ll remember your interpretation.

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 1st car that I bought was a 1970 Monte. That 350 loved the gas. Ya the definition of a boat..."A bottomless hole in the water you pour money into". I had a '76 IMP Aztec 20ft with a Ford 351, OMC Sterndrive init. I loved to do figure 8's init, jump it's own wake. Seems like I was always working on that Holley double pumper or winterizing the lower unit. The BBB. DSCN0148-1.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom