Malaysian Trumpet Snails - Keep Or Toss?

1. tfreema

tfreema Well Known Member Member

What is your opinion? Any and all welcome.

I have a 20g tank that has been emptied of fish, but it has a colony of MTS. Out of all the pest snails, I actually like MTS so I can make my sand deeper for plants knowing they will sift it preventing gas bubbles.

I have been trying to decide what to do with these little guys so the tank has been running without fish for weeks now.

I have MTS in other tanks, but my 55 seems to be lacking them. Should I move the sand full of them over, pick out a few and toss in, or just clean out the whole tank snails and all?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Save your favourites and compost the rest. The great thing about trumpet snails is they always make more.

3. C

ChiefBrody Member Member

Great in gravel planted tank. They're the best at stirring up substrate and keeping it clean. Not so good as puffer food I've been told. Supposedly too hard but then again wouldn't hard be better for beak sharpening?
    Also definitely cool looking shells

4. twilysparklez

twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

I thought they did better in sand?

5. OP
    OP
    tfreema

Thanks everyone. I think I will just pick out a few and throw them over into the 55 and then toss the sand since they seem to have really overpopulated this tank. I have ghost shrimps that eat snail eggs to help keep them in check in the 55g.
    I will tackle taking that tank down next weekend so I can find spots for the filter media in other filters to keep cycled for use in a pinch for QT.

6. twilysparklez

twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

Oh, MTS don't lay eggs

7. OP
    OP
    tfreema

So, they have live baby snails then?
    Either way, ghost shrimp eats baby snails too.

8. Miaw

Miaw Member Member

I put 10 in a 15g and haven't seen them since except 1 dead one :/

9. OP
    OP
    tfreema

I am sure you will start to see them as the population grows. They live in the substrate.