Malaysian trumpet snails a pest?

WRWAquarium

Don't know how I got them but I have, long spiral shell and burrowing in the gravel little chaps.

In fact there are other snail types too I've noticed are appearing but mainly its the trumpet ones in can see often.

Are snails good or bad in most people's opinion?

BigManAquatics

Good generally until they start to over-populate!

I wouldn't mind some MTSs in my tank just cuz they have those cool shells.

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

I love my MTSs! They're awesome at burrowing through the gravel, eating detritus, and minding their own business. If you all of a sudden have a thousand of them, it's because you're feeling way too much.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

It's all about finding balance..... Algae, snails... If you have too much of something reduce something else..... i always add MTS to my tanks.

Snails aren't pests.... We are!!!!

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

I've been relaxed about the trumpet snails till yesterday. There was just one that I saw very rarely but it was when I noticed the babies I realised the reproduction rate!

I have been feeding more sinking foods recently as my angels are clever and will hunt down the Cory food.

I've added a jumbo sponge filter recently just too boost the filtration and give some extra bio load capacity.

Upvote 0

smee82

MTS are the only snails i add to all my tanks. They are more beneficial then harmful.

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

I'm going to be chill for now and let them do their thing. They do look nice and my fish don't take any notice of them. If I ever get over run with them I will be happy to give some away if anyone is UK based

Upvote 0

coolio3991

Don't know how I got them but I have, long spiral shell and burrowing in the gravel little chaps.

In fact there are other snail types too I've noticed are appearing but mainly its the trumpet ones in can see often.

Are snails good or bad in most people's opinion?
Well I actually want some because they have a lot of benefits in a fish tank. When they dig they turn up the gravel and it prevents gas bubbles from forming which will help reduce the risk of the gass escaping and killing off the whole tank. And they get the food that no one else can find. What are your water parameters

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

I'm in the UK, just so you know. I have plenty of these snails still, mostly babies but there's a few adults I see occasionally. If anyone does want some I would maybe post a batch or two if in the UK :)

Water parameters are

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15

PH 8
Temp 26

Cant remember KH and GH but its hard water on the higher end of the scale.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

It would be waaaay cheaper to get some at a local fish store. They are usually like 2 for a dollar or something. Some stores may even just give you 2 or 3.
Can you ship to America I have about the same parameters

Upvote 0

RayClem

I live in Illinois. According to Flip Aquatics that offers MTS for sale, they cannot ship to Illinois or Wisconsin because it is illegal to sell or own MTS in either of those states. They are considered an invasive species here. I guess they do not want to contaminate Lake Michigan which serves as a water supply for several communities.

Upvote 0

Lucy

Just a reminder everyone.
Let's not turn this into a b/s/t thread. Use the private message system (conversation) or the b/st forum.
Thank ya :)

Upvote 0

coolio3991

Just a reminder everyone.
Let's not turn this into a b/s/t thread. Use the private message system (conversation) or the b/st forum.
Thank ya :)
Sorry about that. I'm not entirely sure how to do that yet. Just become allowed to b s t were do I look to find that thread. Thank you

Upvote 0

Lucy

No problem. :)
Here ya go:
Buy, Sell, Trade, Free Forum

To start a private message with someone (both members need 50 posts) click on their avatar. You should see the option Start Conversation

Upvote 0

coolio3991

No problem. :)
Here ya go:
Buy, Sell, Trade, Free Forum

To start a private message with someone (both members need 50 posts) click on their avatar. You should see the option Start Conversation
Thank you now that I'm able to b s t f I will definitely go look

Upvote 0

Redshark1

I've had MTS cover the glass in one of my aquariums in which I definitely didn't overfeed!

Assassin snails have brought things under control and are fortunately not too numerous themselves in the tank.

It has worked perfectly for me.

Upvote 0

Lucy

I've had MTS cover the glass in one of my aquariums in which I definitely didn't overfeed!
Same! But I over feed.
Assassin snails have brought things under control and are fortunately not too numerous themselves in the tank.

Same! But the MTS staged a coup and I never saw the assassin again.

Not same. :hilarious:
But so many others have good results.

Upvote 0

MacZ

My pH is so low, snails die in a day. ;D

Upvote 0

Coradee

My assassins hid in the corner when they saw the size of the task they were facing! My fault for over feeding I guess.
I had to strip down the tank eventually to get rid of them, never again, so for me yes Mts are a pest.

F3EC9CA9-EB03-4343-9AAD-C06DC6F3F1F5.jpeg

Upvote 0

coolio3991

Nice. Yeah I want a few and down the road I might get assassin snails but only if my shrimp are safe.

Upvote 0

RayClem

My pH is so low, snails die in a day. ;D

Yep. Snails shells are made primarily from calcium carbonate. In low pH water, the shells dissolve and the snails die. They need higher pH (7.5 and higher is ideal) and higher levels of KH and GH (especially calcium). Crushed coral is great for snails.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Yep. Snails shells are made primarily from calcium carbonate. In low pH water, the shells dissolve and the snails die. They need higher pH (7.5 and higher is ideal) and higher levels of KH and GH (especially calcium). Crushed coral is great for snails.

It was just a (albeit dark) joke. I know that you can't keep snails in actual blackwater of below 50ppm TDS and pH under 6. I just had added a plant a few months ago that had 2 little bladder snails, that I didn't pick off in time. They didn't make it even to 24h before the shells became white and they dropped dead.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Monkeypoint
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Jennie2021
  • Question
  • NBettas83
  • Snails
Replies