Malaysian Trumpet Snail (Melanoides tuberculata) and Live Plant Substrates

jreinhart

After some searching online in regards to the issue I couldn't find an answer to a question I have. Malaysian Trumpet Snails (aka M. tuberculata) are supposed to be fantastic for a live planted tank to help deal with algae removal (my interest tin them) and also to help promote root growth.

An article in the January 2015 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine (just got my copy) has a great article discussing algae solutions for planted tanks. The author really likes the Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS) for live plants. My question pertains to the burrowing nature of the MTS.

My tank uses Eco-Complete with a layer of Flourite on top. Everything I've come across says the Malaysian Trumpet Snail enjoys burrowing in SAND. Since sand is much finer than both Eco-Complete and Flourite will the Malaysian Trumpet Snail (aka Red-rimmed melania) burrow in them?

None of the local fish stores carry Malaysian Trumpet Snails so it will be an endeavor for me to find them. Turns out that Nerite Snails are easier for me to obtain. My preference is for the MTS to use both its algae-eating and aerating abilities.

Hopefully one of the many knowledgeable forum members will have the answer to my question. Crossing my fingers that the answer is a resounding YES and that I can get my hands on some MTS as a reasonable price. Otherwise I'll grab some Zebra Nerites and will have to live with their sesame seed size eggs being stuck all over my tank (unless I grab some of the less plant-friendly Mystery Snails).

Dolfan

I have regular gravel which is larger grain than you current substrates. My Malaysian Trumpet Snails seem to do ok in it. I think the smaller snails work into the crevices and help generally clean things up. They are small so they can crawl on most of the plants to help clean them up as well.

I sell a variety of plants here on fishlore and I can include some MTS for free if you want. Since you live in Massachusetts we would need to monitor your weather as I don't have heat packs. I suppose I could try to buy some if you wanted to pay extra to cover heat pack. Anyways here is a link to my sales thread and shoot me a PM if you are interested.....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/aquarium-plants-for-sale.174403/

Redshark1

It would have to be solid for them not to burrow in.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ChrisBoffer
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
AllFish21
Replies
Views