1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Malawi Id Help Please

1. E

Emarley New Member Member

Hi all,
    First time poster and newbie cichlid keeper.
    Just set up my first 65 gallon tank and been patiently waiting for the last month for the tank to fully cycle.
    Been to the lfs and purchased my first eight fish, these were all from a mixed Malawi tank. Have since found out that a lot of the fish from mixed tanks are hybrids but as I said I'm a newbie so I don't know. If anyone could Id any of these it would be most appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Emarley
    PS sorry for poor image quality, taken on my mobile.

Attached Files:

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I'm been looking all over for picture #7!
    You are right, they do look like hybrids. They looked a little stressed. Let's just see what they look like after they are in your tank for a few days.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    E

Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry for what's another newbie question but how can you tell they look a little stressed.
    Emarley

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Nothing serious, they are pale. They will brighten up and we should be able to see some standard mbuna traits.
    Edit: I should have added, it transport, new tank etc. Nothing to do but let them get acclimated.

5. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

The last two look like peacocks, the white one could be a snow white socolofi, the yellow with dark markings is probably a giraffe hap or venustus, all yellow is probably a yellow lab but possibly a red zebra, I'd say the sixth one is a blue zebra, the 5th a dolphin and the first I have no clue.

Of all of those, looks like there are only 3 or 4 mbuna.

6. OP
    OP
    E

Thanks for the replies.
    Much appreciated.
    Emarley