Malachite green. Super Ich Cure.Does it really ruin your bio-filtration? How so?

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fancy goldfish tank recently came down with ICH (really only 1 fish) He was acting funny, and then I saw a ton of spots on him. I kind of pannicked, and went to the LFS and bought 2 diff ICH meds without researching. I ended up using Super Ich Cure from API (powder packets) The main ingrediant in it is Melachite Green. I read later that it can ruin you biological filter. What does this mean? I have an Aquaclear 70. Does it just mean I need to cycle the tank again? Get a new filter? get some new bio balls? (little rocks that come with AQ filters) The other ingredient is Nitrofurazone. This is/was my first bout with ICH. or any fish disease. I raised the temp to 84, dont really want to any higher (goldfish) I am more interested about the MG and biological filtration, greatly appreciated if someone has some knowledge about this...Thanks.

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Butterfly, this tank has ony been runningfor about a week. I used Tetra Safe Start to cycle it. So after the ich goes away, since my good bacteria may have been killed I'll use another bottle of the TSS? Is my filter ok?

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Always check for antibiotics, they can in some cases negatively affect your filter cultures. When using them in tanks, follow the directions closely...more is never better, and never try 2 types at the same time.

Use them when necessary but always be sure what you are treating, never use them as a preventative if possible.

Even in us, when we take antibiotics, they also kill some of the good in our bodies along with the bad....hence the warnings and "side affects" notices. Unfortunatly drug companies don't care that much about our friends.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Butterfly, this tank has ony been runningfor about a week. I used Tetra Safe Start to cycle it. So after the ich goes away, since my good bacteria may have been killed I'll use another bottle of the TSS? Is my filter ok?
I imagine the bacteria in your filter has been affected also.

After the ICH is gone I personally would do a couple of good water changes to make sure the meds are all out then use the TSS again.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom