Making Your Own Decorations Issues

tigerfish420
so I siliconed some rocks together let them sit out to cure soaked them for a few days but I don't think I let it cure all the way . silicone isn't supposed to turn back into that nasty mess after it cures all the way otherwise we couldnt use it in fish tanks obviously. I thought I had researched it and bought the proper silicone but I may be wrong. got it at home depot google said most dap brand silicone is fine there's no mildew or mold preventativesas far as I can tell. some of the spots on there had been curing for 3-4 days and yet they still went from clear back to white and seemed to lose some strength. feeling very demoralized someone give me some good news

P8140328.JPG
P8140329.JPG
P8140330.JPG
so question is am I using the wrong stuff or do I just need to give it more time?
is the silicone safe now? or do I need to clean the rocks and start over since I have soaked them or can I just continue from where I am?

Advertisement
kuhlkid
From what I can gather, the Dynaflex product isn't actually silicone--"Silicone Tough" is a guarantee that it performs similar to silicone, but because it isn't an aquarium-specific product, that rating doesn't apply here. Dynaflex is a latex-based sealant. Scrub the rocks clean, and get a tube that is labeled "100% silicone". Best way to be sure DAP does have a 100% silicone sealant, you can google to see the packaging. But you can go with another manufacturer, as long as it's 100% silicone.

Advertisement
Bettanewb
I'm not sure where your located or what products you can specifically can get your hands on weather sheild silicone puts on their labels that its aquarium safe.

I use GE silicone 1 for window and doors
This what it looks like

1502793162395796621373.jpg

Geno
Ge 1 +1 use it on everything aquarium ,just cure it till the smell is gone

tigerfish420
yeah that's wat I ended up going and buying. the deco. is curing gonna soak it for a few days in a 25 gallon tote to double check and than its going in the tank

Bettanewb
Perfect I used that silicone to diy some weighted bases for fake plants that I picked up from micheals And my local dollar store.

tigerfish420
now that that is solved, I'm also working on growing algae for my ottos and snail, the jar I'm using in the sunlight should I put an airstone in there? does it matter if the jar is sealed or not?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
dragonshark
Replies
Views
maeh22
Replies
Views