making vegetarian fish food.

chowes

Today I had some free time and decided to make some frozen food for my new labeotropheus since I read that they are pretty strict vegetarians. I used carrots, peas, spinach, summer squash, zucchini, cucumber and gelatin to bind it all. Will this be all right for them?

Shawnie

I think it will be great!! I remember trying to make my first attempt at homeade food..I didnt use gelatin and what a mess!!!! LOL

sirdarksol

Sounds pretty good. I would include one or two more things in the next batch.
NorI is the stuff that they use to wrap sushI in, and is available in pretty much any big supermarket. It's excellent for fish (and for people).
Spirulina is a type of cyanobacteria and is usually available at health food stores and co-ops. It's really high in vitamins, and is another healthy food for nearly all animals. You've only got to add a little of this stuff. It's pretty potent stuff (though, as far as I know, you can't really OD on it. Think of it as concentrated veggies)

Shawnie

sirdarksol said:
Sounds pretty good. I would include one or two more things in the next batch.
NorI is the stuff that they use to wrap sushI in, and is available in pretty much any big supermarket. It's excellent for fish (and for people).
Spirulina is a type of cyanobacteria and is usually available at health food stores and co-ops. It's really high in vitamins, and is another healthy food for nearly all animals. You've only got to add a little of this stuff. It's pretty potent stuff (though, as far as I know, you can't really OD on it. Think of it as concentrated veggies)
how would that be adding it to the carnivores also?

sirdarksol

I don't see that it would be a problem. It should be very good for them.
I first started thinking about using spirulina in pet food when I went to the MN Zoo. They talk about the animals' food quite a bit there, and one common across almost all of them is that they are fed spirulina. Even the tigers get spirulina laced into their meat.

Top Bottom