Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeWidmann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi
for some reason my lfs does not sell a pair of mated occelaris clowns. I would like to have two clowns but have no idea how to introduce them to each other or what is required. I do not mind having 2 males or 2 females either. if any of you have a method please share it with me !
Thanks

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
one clown needs to be slightly larger than the other, not too much larger as it may terrorize the little guy, then there will be a showing of dominance by the larger clown and the less dominant will do a shaking showing he is submissive. so add one clown, wait a week or two then add the second ( the smaller one)
this worked well my my ocellaris clowns as the male in my original mated pair did not acclimate to my tank and died, so i waited 2 weeks and did the above, i have had this happy pair going on 2 yrs

JakeWidmann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ok thanks for the info.
would this work with 2 males or 2 females?
if i wanted a mated pair should i add male or female first?

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
all clowns are born male and the larger one will become the female

oahc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Will a true perc pair with an ocellarus?

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes. Happens quite frequently, in fact.

Edit: I should qualify that remark with - use caution. The perc is a little more aggressive than the ocellaris and there's no guarantee that they won't fight. Just if you were to pick two clowns that would likely get along ok it would be a percula and an ocellaris.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just buy two younger ones around the same size, eventually they will pair off. That is what mine did.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since Ocellaris are a friendly group you could try what SwampFox says, but that would take a year before they started mating. OTOH, if you bought four older ones they'll form a hierarchy and the female and dominant male will make themselves apparent in short order, since they'll grow faster.

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just a suggestion, your LFS may not sell a "pair" but you certainly should be able to request 2 of the Clowns that you might wish to purchase be put into a tank together for a period of time. I'm not talking 5 minutes here. Be prepared to stay at the LFS for awhile. Watch them. If they swim peacefully along, you should (I say that lightly, I'll explain why in a minute) be OK. If they fight right off the bat, try again.

I say Should because it took my clowns almost a week before they started to fight. It was awful. There was a lot of fin nipping for a couple weeks. Now, this has proven to be normal as one establishes dominance and turns into a female. So don't be surprised.

They now get along fine. I don't believe they'll ever actually mate as my black female still likes to prove her dominance over my little orange male, but they live peacefully together.

For the record. I had my orange guy first and bought the black one a bit bigger.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm...that's kind of the opposite of how they should be introduced. The little one staked out his territory and felt the need to defend it, and the bigger guy came in and said there's a new sheriff in town.

I like to put the bigger one in first. The bigger one will stake out his territory and when the little guy is introduced he needs the big one to accept him and won't try to take the territory away.

This is what I did with my maroon clowns. The little guy whom I introduced a day later was attacked three times, he turned sideways and quivered in fear. Now they're fine. If he was bigger he would have fought with the other one over the territory. If I had done it backward then he would have fought the bigger one over dominance.

This flies in the face of how to introduce other marine fish, as usually you want to put the bigger, more aggressive one in last so that the fish that have already established themselves won't attack him.

steve_58

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pick out two or preferrably if possible 3 or more smaller ones roughly all the same size and put them all in tank at same time. The stronger most dominant will grow bigger and be the female and the rest will be males. Should something happen to her then the next most dominant will become female. The largest most dominant will almost always become the female of the group.

roadking

Reaction score
I had my first Ocellaris clown (2-3 inches) for about a month before introducing a mate for her. He was less than an inch shorter and smaller in girth, but immediately recognized her dominance so they didn't fight all that much, mostly just the seizure dance. They were together for well over a year before spawning. I also have a breeding pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish in there and one time my husband accidentally let some one day old fry loose in the display tank while I was at work. Well, husband was chasing tiny BC around in 90 gallons trying to re-capture as many as he could then he said the female clown cornered one of them at the bottom, got real close but backed off & didn't eat it. She produced eggs for the first time 2 weeks after that event. Probably just coincidence and timing but a neat observation. Wish I could have seen that!
Tank mates:
Breeding Pair Ocellaris Clownfish
Breeding Pair Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp 'Doc'
Hope you get your setup going successfully! It's so cool to go to the LFS for salt, food, snails, whatever then leave without pulling out American Express. Juvi fish credits rule!!! AND we are helping keep the wild ones wild.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if same species yes shouldnt be a problems, again put the larger in first or make sure one is slighlty larger than the other and things will go ok, when establishing dominance the submissive fish will do a shaking motion to show he acknowledges he is not the dominant fish

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you mean paring a black and orange ocellaris? I'd never heard of that, but it probably wouldn't be a problem since the ocellaris is pretty friendly. Might even be that they recognize the ocellaris part and ignore the color part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom