Making the most out of your small tower fish tank

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Great article! Thank you. Could I ask you what fish you would suggest stocking in a small tall? I have a 15.8G tall which is currently housing an ever growing snail population, but I'd be willing to tear it down (so to speak... move some assasins for a few days!) to re stock with fish :)

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Thanks!

It really depends on your setup. Mine is pretty heavily planted and houses a DG, 5 glowlight tetras, and 3 gardneri killis (1 male, 2 female). Gardneri killis are probably the only types I could have kept in this small community without risking serious aggression issues. If you only kept one type of killi and kept the male:female ratio just right, you could have a very interesting tank.

Is your tank planted? Depending on the amount of hiding places, I think it would be really awesome if you kept 1 or 2 dwarf puffer fish. If there isn't ample hiding places, 2 would become overly aggressive, since each would be territorial. The nice thing about the dwarf puffer is that he/she would really enjoy the plethora of snails! I wouldn't recommend a dwarf puffer to a beginner, but I know you are far from that!

A single school of 8-10 chili rasboras might also be interesting to watch.

So my votes would be for either the rasboras, a dwarf puffer predator tank, or some really neat single species killis.

Oh, if you kept your tank nice and cool, Celestial Pearl Danios or Cloud Mountain Minnows would also be awesome.

You have no idea how much I've edited this post. Potential stocking questions make me think too hard. :)

Anything that will fit in a 10 will also be fine.

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have always wanted a dwarf puffer and I'm starting to feel like I could handle it. And one DP won't affect the bioload too much... And if they'll deal with the snails themselves.. Even better! It is heavily planted, dirted tank, full of snails to keep it cycled whilst I figure out what to do with it. It's sort of become a forgotten jungle!

I had never considered the killis. Something else I have never had. I will be looking into both these fish for future stocking.

I currently have two HUGE ongoing projects so it may take a while to get to this but its another unexpected, exciting adventure! Thanks for your advice and your article :)

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Great! Let me know what you come up with so I can live vicariously through you!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app