Making The Leap. Getting (a Much) Bigger Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fieryskys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The day has finally come... and I need help! My husband and I are getting a 75 gallon tank. We want to set it up in the living room as a show piece.. now, the trouble is the only tanks we currently have are a 3 gallon, and a 10 gallon. I have about 2 years fish keeping experience myself and he nearly none. My parents always had tanks when I was growing up but this is new for us to have a tank this size. We would like some advice on everything. If you have experience with big tanks please help us out.

We would like a community tank with live plants but no co2. Freshwater only. We would like recommendations on fish species and plant species. What types or brands of filters and heaters do you use in your large setups? Any recommendations on substrates, chemicals etc. Really anything helps!

We will be doing research on every single thing you guys say. Were really trying hard to make this go well but right now we are so overwhelmed with the idea we wanted to get some help from you who have more experience.

Sorry for the long post and thank you so much for everything!

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's the budget like for buying all the bells and whistles for the tank? That will give use a good starting point?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So for my tanks i use sumps as filtration. Most are trickle tower. I use sumps because im a cichlid keeper. My heaters are all titanium series. I make my own 3d backgrounds, stands and sumps so it cuts cost. Very little in any of my setups is aquarium store bought. Infact the only thing that is aquarium is the heaters and the tank. My pumps are pond pumps. Danner PM1200s.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fluval makes heaters that I use in most of my tanks. I find that they are the best, at least IMO they are!

Fieryskys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What's the budget like for buying all the bells and whistles for the tank? That will give use a good starting point?
No real budget at this point, we're just buying as we go along and will set up completely in a few months

Lh 90 gallon

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recommend a canister filter with an inline heater. I like having as few “ugly” pieces of equipment in my tank as possible. The inline heater is an external heater on the tube that brings water from filter back to tank. I have a hydor filter and like it. Like you I jumped from a 10 gallon to a 90 gallon. With a 75 gallon I would look at a rainbow or red tail shark. - decent school of bosenami rainbows (or really any rainbow) maybe some German blue rams

Fieryskys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So for my tanks i use sumps as filtration. Most are trickle tower. I use sumps because im a cichlid keeper. My heaters are all titanium series. I make my own 3d backgrounds, stands and sumps so it cuts cost. Very little in any of my setups is aquarium store bought. Infact the only thing that is aquarium is the heaters and the tank. My pumps are pond pumps. Danner PM1200s.
Thanks, what type of fish do you keep in your set up?

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I upgraded to a 75G tank from a 20 long 3 months ago. It was one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. It makes me to happy and I truly enjoy watching how happy the fish are in their larger home.

Here's what I have.
-75G Petsmart Ensamble. I will never buy fish or plants from big box stores, but they have great deals on well cheap, well made aquariums and stands.
-AquaTop Forza filter with UV sterilizer with about 460 GPH flow. Great filter.
-Plants without CO2
- Pearl danios, neon tetras, panda cories, and a dwarf gourami

I recommend you get good substrate. This makes keeping plants without CO2 easy. I have SeaChem Flourite Red and it works great. Those black soil balls work great too.

As for species of fish, I personally recommend smaller fish since they have so much more room to swim.

Attachments

Fieryskys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I upgraded to a 75G tank from a 20 long 3 months ago. It was one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. It makes me to happy and I truly enjoy watching how happy the fish are in their larger home.

Here's what I have.
-75G Petsmart Ensamble. I will never buy fish or plants from big box stores, but they have great deals on well cheap, well made aquariums and stands.
-AquaTop Forza filter with UV sterilizer with about 460 GPH flow. Great filter.
-Plants without CO2
- Pearl danios, neon tetras, panda cories, and a dwarf gourami

I recommend you get good substrate. This makes keeping plants without CO2 easy. I have SeaChem Flourite Red and it works great. Those black soil balls work great too.

As for species of fish, I personally recommend smaller fish since they have so much more room to swim.
Thanks, I appreciate the help! Since your recommendation is for small fish, what do you think would work well? I currently only have guppies but some of them are so aggressive towards one another that they make me feel like I'm going insane. I just had to put a divider in my 10 gallon to keep two of them from shredding each other's tails anymore!

Lh 90 gallon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the help! Since your recommendation is for small fish, what do you think would work well? I currently only have guppies but some of them are so aggressive towards one another that they make me feel like I'm going insane. I just had to put a divider in my 10 gallon to keep two of them from shredding each other's tails anymore!
The aggression may be due to being in small tank, it’s possible if you move them to a moderately planted larger tank that the aggression resolves itself

Fieryskys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The aggression may be due to being in small tank, it’s possible if you move them to a moderately planted larger tank that the aggression resolves itself
I hope so. I'm going to Petco in a bit because they have the $1 per gallon sale and going to grab a 20 long for them in the meantime.

The 75 is from them too. It was 50% off that's why we got it

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hope so. I'm going to Petco in a bit because they have the $1 per gallon sale and going to grab a 20 long for them in the meantime.

The 75 is from them too. It was 50% off that's why we got it
I love my stocking and would recommend stocking yours similar. Everyone gets along and is happy.

A good centerpiece fish is a dwarf gourami. They're peaceful and a perfect size to catch your eye from across the room but not be cramped in the tank.

Danios are good with dwarf gouramis and will use the entire 75G tank to stretch those fins. I recommend zebra (regular or glofish) or pearl danios. They're very active swimmers and will bring a lot of life to the tank.

Lastly, a school of cories and maybe tetras would finish off your tank very nice.

My current stocking is:
6 pearl danios
6 neon tetras
1 powder blue dwarf gourami
School of panda cories
2 nerite snails
A guppy
A couple assorted tetra species I've had forever but I'm not re-building the school of.

I'm bringing the school of danios and tetras to 10 each and adding a couple more guppies then the stocking is complete.

It's lightly stocked for a 75 gallon tank but it's easy to manage and nitrate has never been over 10 ppm. No algae and no fish aggression.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh I also have assorted amano shrimp, blue, and red shrimp. I don't see them often but every once in a while I'll see them eating whatever microbes are growing on my plants.

Fieryskys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I love my stocking and would recommend stocking yours similar. Everyone gets along and is happy.

A good centerpiece fish is a dwarf gourami. They're peaceful and a perfect size to catch your eye from across the room but not be cramped in the tank.

Danios are good with dwarf gouramis and will use the entire 75G tank to stretch those fins. I recommend zebra (regular or glofish) or pearl danios. They're very active swimmers and will bring a lot of life to the tank.

Lastly, a school of cories and maybe tetras would finish off your tank very nice.

My current stocking is:
6 pearl danios
6 neon tetras
1 powder blue dwarf gourami
School of panda cories
2 nerite snails
A guppy
A couple assorted tetra species I've had forever but I'm not re-building the school of.

I'm bringing the school of danios and tetras to 10 each and adding a couple more guppies then the stocking is complete.

It's lightly stocked for a 75 gallon tank but it's easy to manage and nitrate has never been over 10 ppm. No algae and no fish aggression.
I like that stocking idea.. I have one male guppy who is by himself following an injury and I think he would enjoy the company of some other small fish. I hear that tetras are delicate though.. is that true?

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes they are.

Neon tetras for example are definitely delicate compared to guppies or danios. But if it's a permanent tank and you won't be moving or cycling the tank with them in it, there won't be an issue. I had 4 neon tetras in my 20 gallon long, then got 4 more when I upgraded to the 75G. They were super small babies. I'm pretty sure 1 got eaten and one just died. So 2 of the babies survived and are full grown. 3 months later they're doing great.

But I had 2 pearl danios from the 20 gallon tank and got 4 more to bring the school up to 6 when I upgraded. They 4 new ones were also very small and they all survived. So it kind of shows the difference between fish. So since I want 10 of each fish, I will probably only need to buy 4 more danios. But I may have to buy 5 or 6 more tetras since they aren't as easy to move and acclimate as danios are.

But those are neon tetras. The bigger species of tetras should be way hardier.

Fieryskys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes they are.

Neon tetras for example are definitely delicate compared to guppies or danios. But if it's a permanent tank and you won't be moving or cycling the tank with them in it, there won't be an issue. I had 4 neon tetras in my 20 gallon long, then got 4 more when I upgraded to the 75G. They were super small babies. I'm pretty sure 1 got eaten and one just died. So 2 of the babies survived and are full grown. 3 months later they're doing great.

But I had 2 pearl danios from the 20 gallon tank and got 4 more to bring the school up to 6 when I upgraded. They 4 new ones were also very small and they all survived. So it kind of shows the difference between fish. So since I want 10 of each fish, I will probably only need to buy 4 more danios. But I may have to buy 5 or 6 more tetras since they aren't as easy to move and acclimate as danios are.

But those are neon tetras. The bigger species of tetras should be way hardier.
Okay, maybe I'll skip the neons and get another little bit larger variety

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, maybe I'll skip the neons and get another little bit larger variety
I would. Those deaths happened even though my ammonia/nitrite is always at 0 and nitrate stays under 5-10 ppm. I even drip acclimated them over an hour. My fiancé really likes neons but they're not easy.

There are plenty of tetra species that are easy. Also, I strongly recommend danios. Pearl danios are some of the best fish I own. They bring any tank to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom