Question Making The Jump To Sw, What Do I Actually Need

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The family agreed that if we got another goby that one is probably top of the list. I've seen a few vids with them paired with a pistol shrimp so I know for sure they will pair up.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, time for an update
I decided to majorly splurge and get a 110 gallon, with a 75!! gallon sump. Guy was moving just wanted it gone so it was worth waiting. I also decided I was hooked already so I am also making my 20g SW, so even worse MTS here we come!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, time for an update
I decided to majorly splurge and get a 110 gallon, with a 75!! gallon sump. Guy was moving just wanted it gone so it was worth waiting. I also decided I was hooked already so I am also making my 20g SW, so even worse MTS here we come!
Wow, talk about an upgrade. That system should be amazing with such a large sump for flow. The other great news is that you have a massive refugium and "time out" spot for an aggressive fish if you need one.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know right, now what if I told you I also got the entire setup for less than 1k? Patience is usually not one of my virtues, but this time it really paid off.
A friend of mine suggested that I also lightly stock the 75, is that something you can do? It doesn't make much sense to me since the sump would be dark, under the stand 24/7.
Anyway, I think I'm going to hold off on saying much about the big tank so I can do a sort of "big reveal"

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would never stock fish in a sump for long term applications. I put a couple of acclimated mollies in there for a few weeks but that is as close as I have come to stocking a sump. The sump is best used for a refugium for Macro Algae and Pod growth (good little critters that eat waste in your tank/system). You will need a light for it. Here is mine:

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cool, I'll rig up a light and put some chaeto in it
I didn't think I could actually put anything in it, they said I should put a mantis shrimp down there of all things lol

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cool, I'll rig up a light and put some chaeto in it
I didn't think I could actually put anything in it, they said I should put a mantis shrimp down there of all things lol
Sure, if you want to risk shattering your tank. Honestly I don't see a single benefit to putting a mantis shrimp in a sump as the mantis won't get enough to eat and your refugium won't do much for you.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh I didn't plan on getting one at all, never plan on getting one actually. I just found it bizarre that it was the first thing he suggested.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just like him recommending fish for the sump. Either way not a good idea. Macro Algae, Pods and one or two pieces of live rock are really the only life you should have down there.

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom